Booting Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by anka135, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anka135

anka135 Registered Member

Hello All,

I hope somebody will be able to help me out. I was doing repartitioning of a hard drive with Acronis Disk Director 9.0, and it was all great untill it rebooted. The problem is it never actually with the boot up again. I'm not even able to get into initial Setup (F1). The BIOS does see that drive, but it just stop after that. And system becomes comletely unresponsive. I'm not able to boot off floppies and cds also.
    So since I had another spare drive, I connected it for testing purposes, and it came up just fine. It passed that point where the other drive was stuck (right after POST), and I was able to boot off cd and install Windows.
    Did anybody previously had the same issues? Is it the problem with MBR? What would be the best way of fixing this? I wouldn't want to loose all that data :(

Thanks,

Anna :doubt:

2. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

Assuming you are using IDE drives, what if you put the good drive as master on IDE primary and the unresponsive drive as master on IDE secondary? If you can see the unresponsive drive that way, then you could copy the data over to the good drive. You would have to reinstall all of your programs on the good drive but at least you could recover your data if it works.
    Skyhawk

3. anka135

anka135 Registered Member

Thanks for you response. Yep tried that also. I put the good drive as a master and a old one a as slave. Still the old one hung both those drives all together with no ability to boot off of the cd or enter the setup. When I pressed F1 (to enter setup), it would just sit there for a long time and do nothing. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Anna

4. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

There are data recovery programs that one can download from the web. PowerQuest (bought by Symantec) had one called "Lost and Found". I recall one had a free trial download which could only recover files less than a certain size. Maybe try a search on google for "data recovery" and see what you can find.

But the bad drive hanging the good drive too sounds like the electronics on the drive might have gone bad. If that is the case, you may have to find an "exact same" drive and swap the circuit card. It cannot just be the same size from the same manufacturer since they have drives made in singapore, thailand, etc. with different electronics but same gigs.

Good luck,
    Skyhawk

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Anna,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the report.txt file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.