Booting from recovery disk doesn't recognize RAID Array

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mauiblue, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mauiblue

mauiblue Registered Member

Aloha to all. I have a Toshiba notebook (G35-AV650) in which I set up the two internal hard drives as a RAID 1 array. When I boot the computer with the ATI 9.0 recovery disk (made from build 3633) the recovery interface does not see the RAID array as one drive. The interface shows both separate drives. I do have a desktop that has multiple drives and two RAID arrays (RAID 0 and RAID 1) and the recovery interface will reflect the RAID arrays with no problems.

I did a search on this issue and could not find any solution. Could someone please help me find a resolution to to this issue. I really would appreciate it. BTW, I am using Windows XP as my OS and the latest ATI 9.0 Home build (3633)

2. coling

coling Registered Member

Hi create a Reatogo boot cd with a TI9 plug in so you can custom make the cd with your own raid drivers installed.
    Confused I was until I went down this path about 18 months ago because of the difficulties I had with my raid drivers and TI9.I have not looked back and always create a reatogo custom boot cd
    http://www.reatogo.de/ this is the link
    Perservere as the end result will pay off.
    Good luck

3. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Mauiblue,

Does the Toshiba come with a RAID controller? If so, does it support Raid 0? Can you get it with 7200 rpm drives?

Thanks for any information.

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I found the answer. It comes with software Raid 0 or 1. Only 5400 rpm drives are compatible with this model.

Thanks anyway,

5. mauiblue

Thanks coling for responding. I will try out your solution in just a bit. I'll try to figure out about the plug-in for the TI9 (I've heard about it from quickly reading the forums). I'll get back if I get stuck.

6. mauiblue

In order to Reatogo boot cd I would have to have the OEM operating system CD (in my case Win XP Media Edition). But Toshiba provides only a recovery disk which intergrates all the programs and drivers that runs on a factory fresh G35-AV650 notebook. So it does not look like I could build this bootable CD with the recovery CD and the Reatogo install file. Looks like I am not able to go this route to get TI9 to recognize my RAID array.:'(

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello mauiblue,

The following would normally work with a hardware RAID 1 but I'm not sure about a software RAID:

Backup

- Break the RAID
    - Create an image
    - Rebuild the RAID

Restore

- Boot from the TI rescue CD and restore the image
    - Rebuild the RAID

Regards

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  8. mauiblue

Thanks for the reply Menorcaman. Well I decided to just break the RAID array and have the hard drives separate. It is just easier that way and I just have to remember to back up the drives periodically. It is just too bad that TI9 will not recognize the raid drivers natively. Maybe if one of the Acronis tech support members would jump in and clarify this issue or even suggest a solution or workaround would be nice. Aloha and mahalo to all.

9. coling

coling Registered Member

Do you or a friend have any XP operating disk at all ? As the files you need are off the XP installation disk
    If you can get hold of one you should be able to build the reatogo cd .
    The licence you will require will be from your TI9 plugin, so I cant see that you will be in breach of any licence as you are not going to install XP.
    All this is, is that the window drivers are better than that supplied by Acronis and you can place your raid drivers in the appropiate folder.
    This has been a real bug bear for me as Acronis offer little support.
    Knowing what I now know I would even look at installing an XP operating system fresh so that I could build a boot cd with the TI plugin and the raid drivers after you have backup your important data.
    A long way to go about it but beleive me it is worth it and once you have created that boot iso image.
    I wish you well perserve if I can help anymore let me know as like I said I was in the same boat about 18 months ago with TI8 having moved over from ghost.
    True Image is a very good bit of software when it works and a lifesaver on many occaision.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mauiblue,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running in rescue mode then it provides support for all hardware RAID controllers, software RAID arrays are note supported.

In case you use hardware RAID controllers and the issue persists please note that in order to investigate this issue you will need to configure the RAID array once again and reproduce the issue. If you would like to perform it please provide us with the exact vendor and model of the RAID controller you use. Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it described here (with configured RAID array).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.