Booting From CD/DVD & USB

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TerryWood, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I have a HP Pavilion Slimline s5325uk pc with Win 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Is it possible to set up Windows to boot from EITHER CD/DVD or USB or does it have to be one or the other.

Reason I ask this is because I would like to be able to boot from USB (not tried it yet) but most of my imaging and recovery software is via cd/dvd. Changing to USB only would limit my recovery and imaging options in the short to medium term.

Thanks

Terry

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Typically you hit F-12 during the boot process to go to "boot selection" or "boot options" menu, where you can choose which device you want to boot from. Is this option not available on you HP?

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It can be F2, F8, F10, F12, or a combination like Ctrl+S. It all depends on the firmware. You SHOULD see on any newer computer a key or key combination to get to the "boot menu", that is what it is usually called. On my intel it is the F10 key. On my old Soyo board it was the ESC key at a certain point in bootup.

Sul.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It might be in the BIOS where you can set the boot order. Maybe something like:

1. CD/DVD ROM
    2. Removable Devices
    3. Hard Drive

Upon boot-up the BIOS should boot off of what it sees first.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Perhaps THIS can be helpful...

6. TerryWood

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. Perhaps I did not clarify what I want to do particularly well.

1) I think my PC can boot from USB although it is not set to do so in the BIOS.

2) I do not want to be messing about switching backwards an forwards in the BIOS from USB to CD/DVD

3) What would be ideal (if it were possible) would be on boot up an option to boot from CD and an option(s) to boot from USB drive(s)

Thanks

Terry

7. sbseven

sbseven Registered Member

I'm not quite sure what the problem is? By pressing whichever key brings up the boot menu (one of F12, F10, F2 etc..) during the start up sequence, you can manually select where you want to boot from. No need to rearrange the BIOS settings.

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

On each boot you could "manually" select what you want to boot from. I am pretty sure that on a HP PC you keep hitting the "ESC" key until get the boot menu. Then you would select the type of device that you want to boot from. Usually at the bottom of the boot screen it will tell you what key to press to get the boot menu.

9. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

So long as your USB hardware is discoverable ... doing what Sully, sbseven, etc, said is the way to go. Just tap whichever key your bios uses to enter boot menu (my laptop uses ESC, my pc uses F12) and it will give you the option to boot from whichever device you want for this particular boot. The default boot process will happen on the next boot up still - so no entering the bios is needed - boot menu allows one off changes of hardware boot order.

10. TerryWood

Hi Everybody

I learn't something today (slight embarrassment). I did not realize that by tapping escape that you could select the mode of bootup. All these years.....

Thanks again (the wonders of wilders)

Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.