Booting from a image - help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by guest, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

I have Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation.

How does one go about booting from an exisiting backup image which resides
    on/in a drive or SecureZone ?

I do not see any options for it in the application.

I notice there are multiple applications which can be installed upon the initial running of the setup file aside from the Acronis True Image Workstation setup.

Must I install one of these other applications to have the ability to boot from an image?

Thanks

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, you must Restore an Image before you can get a bootable system.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Maybe we're getting our terminology mixed up, but you can't boot from an image; it's just a file.
    If you cloned your drive, you should be able to boot from the new clone (assuming the source drive was bootable).

4. biiikman

biiikman Registered Member

I do see on the main acronis page one of the new features of ATI 9.1 is "boot from a image backup"..which does sound like you can boot from the image file. once you've saved an image in the secure zone, then select recovery..then select secure zone as the source. it wil lthen ask which of 3 restore types you want to do:
    1. snap restore
    2. restor edisk or partition
    3. restore files or folders.
    at least thats what happened when I did it, which should be the same for you?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. TheWeaz

“When backing up to removable media, you can make this media bootable by writing to it additional components. Thus, you will not need a separate rescue disk.“

OK – While this will make the removable media bootable, the image itself is not. Big difference if somebody thinks they can just copy the image file onto another CD/DVD and have it bootable.
    This also does not address the OPs question concerning the Secure Zone.
    I still say an “image” is not bootable.

7. TheWeaz

On second thought, Alexey does answer the Ops question about booting from a SZ image in a round about way – you can’t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.