Booting cloned image from USB hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dtechconsulting, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtechconsulting

dtechconsulting Registered Member

I have been trying to clone various systems from sata internal hdd's to an external usb hdd. It clone is created successfully, but it will not boot from the USB hdd. I have definitely set my bios boot options right, removed all other hard disks etc.. and it will not boot. If I take the disk out of the usb case, and install it internally, the system boots fine.

IS it possible to boot from USB with this product? What step am I missing.

2. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Hi ... I don't believe you can boot any OS with a externel drive , Could you just image the big fight Microsoft would cause for license issues if you could ?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dtechconsulting and TerryFox,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please have a look at Microsoft Knowledge Base article about booting Windows from USB Storage Devices.

Please be aware that it is not recommended to boot the operating system from USB disk.
    Anyway, it is recommended to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation with Acronis Universal Restore for restoring the system to different hardware (including different disk controller) instead of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

Please be aware that you can create Acronis Bootable Media on your USB drive and boot your machine with it (if your BIOS support booting from USB drives).

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.
    --
    Ivan Sarychev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.