Booting a new installed Windows 98 from a second harddisk

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Uwe Premer, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uwe Premer

Uwe Premer Registered Member

I have 2 harddisks and i few weeks ago, there were just installed Windows 98SE on the second harddisk an Windows XP on the first harddisk. I had have installed Acronis OS Selector 8 on a free new fat partition on the first hd and it had booted both OS.
    Then I had expirienced a little bit. And the internet had no function with win98SE, so that i installed it new.
    In the meantime I installed a linux distribution on a seperate logical partition on the first hd and the Acronis OS Selector started my XP an my SuSE 9.1 without any problem.
    But now the problem ist to get the new installed Windows 98 to the bootmenu of OS Selector. I did'nt take the Win98-assistant to install Win98, but I did deinstall the first hd in the bios. Win98 does realy start then, and when I reinstal the first hd again, I get the menu of OS Selector and can start XP or Linux.
    But I want to do Windows 98 now again to the bootmenu of the OS Selector. But OS Selector does not recognize it automatically.
    So I have tried to write the bootsector of win98 in a file with 2 methods:
    1. with the utility "bootpart 2.5" (http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm)
    and 2. with the command "dd if=/dev/hdb1 bs=512 count=1 of=bootw98.sek"
    Then i copied the files of the 2 methods into the root of win98.
    And then I tried to use the files after each other for the OS recognation of OS Selector. With the file made with bootpart OS Selector did recognize an "unknown" OS. OK, I did add it to the bootmenu of OS Selector, but when I tried to boot now Windows 98 the PC hangs on and the screen gets black.

So, my question is: how can I get an useful bootsector of my Windows 98 in a useful file for using it to recognize Windows 98 with OS Selector?

I think, it will also be a possibility to deinstall OS Selector completely and to reinstal it. But i afraid it is a high risk, that after deinstallation my XP doesn't start anymore.

Thanks in advance
    Uwe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.