bootable rescue media "quiet acpi..."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mildewman, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mildewman

mildewman Guest

Using TI 8, build 937....

I had to utilize the following procedure to get a rescue cd to work. No problem. But at least one post here (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=99383)
    says that doing so disables USB support in the rescue console... I do not currently have backups on a USB device (got a stack of cd's), but will be buying a USB hard drive for that very purpose...

Does the following procedure disable USB support? If so, is there a workaround or fix? Since I don't have a USB HD now, I can't really test it... Would a USB card reader be a fair test?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

II. Problems with Acronis bootable rescue media (the full version) or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. The diagnostics requires the full version of Acronis bootable rescue CD.

Please try the following workaround:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic

2. mildewschool

mildewschool Guest

Anyone? (am I being ignored because I'm a guest?)

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello mildewman,

No, adding acpi=off noapic to the Linux kernal command line should not disable USB support.

Unfortunately, using a USB connected flash card reader is not a valid test of whether TI will then be able to correctly detect a USB hard drive. If anything, connecting the USB flash card reader whilst booting from the rescue CD, could be the reason for it not working.

Regards

4. mildewman

mildewman Guest

Thanks.

I've been readingthe forums, trying to make sure that *IF* I ever need to do a restore I am prepared.

Regarding the USB support... Is it recommended to plug in the USB device before startup, or after the rescue cd has started up?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Most definitely before booting from the rescue CD (not only plugged in but also switched on!). If you don't do that then TI will fail to detect the USB drive.

Regards

6. Mildewman

Mildewman Guest

Much thanks... I didn't see anything about that mentioned in the manual...

Like I said, I have a stck of cd's now, but will be switching to external hard drive as a logical back up upgrade....

Thanks for your time.

7. pureair1000

pureair1000 Registered Member

Mildewman, with my experience, using the "quiet" "acpi=off noapic" method external USB is not recognized when one goes to restore an image. As convoluted as it sounds, the way I got it to work was: I have deleted "quiet", hit enter, type 'help" at the next prompt I was presented with, and at the next prompt I typed "exit" at the next prompt, them True Image starts and does offer my external USB drive as an image source.
    Bob

8. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

This fix works for me as well, however exactly what does

quiet acpi=off noapic

do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.