Bootable CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pepegot1, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pepegot1

pepegot1 Registered Member

Using Windows 98SE, I got an error message when I click on proceed to create a Bootable Disc. Message: "Error Burning Bootable CD-R\CD-RW, Any Ideas on how to fix it? There is nothing wrong with the drive as it copies other data without error. I close all background applications before attempting to create a bootable disc.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

First of all, do a full erase of the CD if using a RW CD.

Second double check in task manager\processes that background processes you think you've closed have actually stopped and not respawned themselves or have other silent goings on happening.

Colin

PS don't terminate Explorer ---- your Windows will close down if you do :)

3. llamabill

llamabill Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem as "pepegot1" except that my operating system is Windows XP Home. I did exactly what "bodgy" advised, but I still get the same error message. I am using the Trial version of TrueImage which I just downloaded, and my medium is CD-RW.

Any suggestions, anyone, please?

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hmm, have you tried the 'don't close the tray' trick - bung the CD in leave the tray open and let TI close the tray.

I recall I once had a burning problem with TI8 and the remedy was to erase the CD-RW using the XP burning software rather than Roxio which came bundled with the laptop. I also killed the Roxio background services.

Colin

5. pepegot1

I used a brand new CD-RW, and did close background programs, which is always a good idea when installing new software. No problems with Win XP in this regard.

6. Phil72

Phil72 Guest

Same here; So is Win XP. Also tried the "do not close the tray"-trick, but it did not work.

7. FGilbert

FGilbert Guest

Only way I could get it to create a bootable recovery disk was to leave the tray open and let TI close it. God knows I tried enough other options before finding this trick in the replies.

8. Ingo

Ingo Guest

Hi, greetings from Germany

thanks for the trick with the open CD-Tray, it´s a solution for me to bring TI9 to the message "bootable CD creation successful"
    Now i have to test, whether to believe in this, or to stay with ghost 5.1 (old, but relieable)

Ingo

Win98SE, Asus A7V, KT133A, used IDE aud SCSI-harddisks, SCSI via 2940UW

9. llamabill

I still can't burn a bootable CD after trying all of the following:
    - "don't close the tray" trick
    - use a brand new CD-RW
    - try to burn a CD as the 1st operation after start-up (I couldn't find out where/how to "close background programs").

I do regularly back up stuff to CD-RW, so I know that my drive does work.

I can, and did, make bootable floppy disks using TI.

I'd still like to be able to make a bootable CD.

Any further suggestions, please?

10. dld

dld Registered Member

Try creating the bootable CD while in Safe Mode.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you get the error message "Error burning bootable CD-R/CD-RW", please try to use the next tips to solve your problems:
    - Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and opens the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click the "Proceed" button to close the tray automatically as well.

If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update third party CD writing software if any to the latest version available for free on its respective web site.

Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW in order to create a bootable rescue disc

If the problem remains please please download, unpack and install the following file:

http://download.acronis.com/ul/w/y/f/s/eeagioupukqbzymwmrxt/TrueImage9.0_cdlog_s_g.zip (German version)
    http://download.acronis.com/ul/n/u/v/o/qnjavkvkigqpebigoykr/TrueImage9.0_cdlog_s_e.zip (English version)

After this please run the program, reproduce the problem and send us the cdrecord.log file created in the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder. Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and the description of your problem. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

12. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Registered Member

I am evaluating True Image 9.0 and downloaded the demo yesterday. I have the same problems reported in this thread, and the sysop workaround does not work.

13. pepegot1

<<If you get the error message "Error burning bootable CD-R/CD-RW", please try to use the next tips to solve your problems:
    - Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and opens the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click the "Proceed" button to close the tray automatically as well.>>

This solved the problem for me as it created a bootable CD-RW disc.
    However, why is not the program code corrected for this?

14. llamabill

SUCCESS :D I now have a bootable rescue disc!

I followed exactly the instructions from "Acronis Support":
    - brand new UNFORMATTED CD-RW
    - kept clicking on "proceed" until the tray opened
    - inserted CD
    - had to restart True Image and click "proceed" again to get the tray to close

then the CD burned.

Also had to change the boot options setting in BIOS so that the first location checked on restart was the CD drive.

Restart using the CD worked fine.

So, thanks for all your help, guys.

15. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Irina,

Sorry to have to correct you but the following part of your instructions are not quite right:
    I'm afraid TI no longer opens the tray; you have to do that yourself manually nowadays. Therefore, the instructions should read:
    Kind regards
    Tom

16. Susann

Susann Registered Member

Re: Bootable CD, doesn't work here!

I'm having the same problem, I cannot create a bootable CD. I have tried everything suggested here, over and over and over again. No matter how many times I keep retrying it, doesn't work at all. I can't believe Acronis would have this kind of problem without getting it fixed pretty quickly! It doesn't even let you create it as a ISO file so I could use the ISO file with Nero to create it that way, as I have no problems at all with Nero recording to my CD drive so the problem is with Acronis TrueImage not knowing what to do with my LiteOn SOHW-1693s drive. Hope I can get this solved. Mine is the paid for version, not the trial. :(

17. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Check the other posts you made about "Services" and "Help, True Image 9...", I offered a suggestion.

...Allen

18. Menorcaman

Hello Susann,

Are you using Windows XP? Windows XP's drag-and-drop CD recording feature has been known to conflict with other CD recording apps.

As you appear to be using Nero, I assume you will also have installed the associated InCD drag-and-drop recording software? If so, there is no need to retain Windows XP's built in CD recording capability and I recommend you disable it and try creating the rescue CD again. Open "My Computer", right click on your CD/DVD recorder and select "Properties". Click on the "Recording" tab and uncheck the "Enable CD recording on this drive" tickbox.

Regards

19. ewan80

ewan80 Registered Member

I am running Windows 2000 Pro Service Pack 4. I tried the 'leave the CD tray open' trick and got a message saying Rescue Disk creation was successful.
    Thanks!

Have yet to try a test restore.

20. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Bootable CD, doesn't work here!

Hello Susann,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

If you encounter a problem when trying to create Bootable Rescue CD then please do as I have suggested in this previous post of mine

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  21. inteltech

inteltech Guest

Try booting Windows in Safe Mode. Seems to do the trick every time

22. Menorcaman

That's covered in Alexey's previous post that he linked in his reply above.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.