Bootable CD will not boot under XP

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bgirton, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgirton

bgirton Registered Member

I have two computers, one running Windows XP, the other Windows 7. The Windows 7 machine will boot into the Paragon Backup & Recovery environment from either a USB flash drive or a DVD, but the Windows XP machine does not recognize either media as bootable. I have made 3 different bootable DVDs. All of them work under Windows 7, but none will boot on the XP machine. I have tried every possible combination of BIOS boot parameters. Other bootable DVDs, such as one prepared from the Linux-based System Recovery CD 3.3.0 .iso file (sourceforge.net) boot on the XP machine with no difficulty. Does anyone have any idea what the solution to this problem could be?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

How did you create the boot media? If they were created on the Windows 7 machine, or are WinPE 3.0/3.1 supplied by Paragon, they are based on Windows 7. Maybe the XP machine isn´t compatible with Windows 7.

3. bgirton

Re: Bootable CD will not boot on XP machine

I used Paragon Backup and Recovery 12 Home Boot Media Builder on the Windows 7 machine to create the DVDs and USB flash drive. Windows AIK is installed on the Windows 7 machine.
    Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Compatibility Advisor utility says the XP machine is compatible with Windows 7.

4. bgirton

I prepared a bootable Win PE DVD from WIndows AIK 3.0 using the command line interface. The DVD drive on the XP machine does not recognize it as bootable. Evidently, Paragon Backup and Recovery 12 Home is therefore not backward compatible with older hardware.

5. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

bgirton,

What if you instead use and create the Boot Media Builder on the XP machine to create the Boot Media, it might make the difference.

Other than trying the above, the next step for you is to open a Support Ticket with Paragon, at https://www.paragon-software.com/login and find out what they come up with.
    ... and let us know the outcome here on the forum.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. bgirton

Paragon tech support? Sorry, no, I've moved on since I first posted this. Somebody else can follow up on this if they have a similar problem, but I'm done.

Meanwhile, I tried building a WinPE bootable DVD with Windows AIK command line operations and with Macrium Reflect's rescue disk builder, and the XP machine would not recognize either disk as bootable. Microsoft is clearly going to walk away from XP someday soon, in spite of the size of the installed base of XP machines and the number of older machines still in use, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Happily, Macrium Reflect also offers a Linux-based bootable DVD builder as part of their current version; that worked fine in the XP machine. I like Macrium Reflect so far - very clean and clear. I haven't drunk their Kool-Aid yet, though - I've got two other new backup applications still to try. My Paragon disks are in the trash. (My Acronis disks are going there, too, as soon as I settle on something that actually works. At least Acronis gave me my money back for their useless pile of buggy code.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.