Bootable CD not working [Acronis #1365977]

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Magus, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magus

Magus Registered Member

This is an email I sent to support hopefully the forums will consider this a challenge

Im using True Image 11 8039

I used the ISO image support provided which boots if i turn set the switch
    ACPI=OFF
    However the restoration stops half way thru.
    The option of safe mode is not an option because i need the second drive to be on USB
    I did boot the safe mode version and it does boot without any problem but my problem lies past this now

To recap the entire situation

I’m trying to either copy or restore a hard drive without using windows by using the boot CD

The computer is a Toshiba Laptop

I attach the NEW western digital drive to an external enclosure (USB 2.0)
    I boot the machine with the iso support provided ACPI=OFF
    I pick COPY drive and pick the AS IS partition structure
    The copy begins however 10 mins later the drive activity lights go out however the computer is not froze as I can move the mouse and click cancel and it prompts me to cancel the process

What I then did was swap the drives putting the new hard drive in the laptop and old into the enclosure and then tried the copy process again and it just stops

I then full format the NEW drive NTFS and then attempt to back up an image file of the OLD drive just to see if I can make an image file and this stops also

So then what I did was attach a 3rd external hard drive
    So right now I have the NEW hard drive in the laptop the OLD hard drive attached USB in the enclosure and a 3rd usb hard drive attached also

I then backup the OLD drive to this 3rd hard drive as an image file and was successful

this to me proves that there are not compatibility issues with the old hard drive or my USB ports or the external enclosure in that matter

now I remove the old hard drive from the usb port

reboot and boot the cd again with just the 3rd hard drive and the new hard drive that’s still in the laptop

I now attempt to restore the image that I just made and again it stops 10 mins into the restore.

So what I did was I buy another hard drive
    Its the same brand and model of the OLD hard drive and performed a copy using the usb enclosure and it worked this is a Hitachi hard drive

apparently the only time when something does not work is when I use the NEW western digital drive in any shape or form

I wanted to then verify if the drive was just bad so I ran the manufactures diagnostics and passed so now what I did was attached the NEW drive to a different computer using the usb enclosure and booted into windows and ran Acronis in windows
    restored the image that I made earlier and it works perfect

I accomplished what I wanted to do however I still want the boot CD to work with the NEW hard drive in that Toshiba laptop because I don’t want to remove it every single time I want to restore the drive which will be frequent because I work in an extremely hostile environment

as a side note Norton ghost works perfect but it does not have the features that Acronis has so I don’t want to have to resort to it

***edit because spelling made me look illiterate****

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. uptone

uptone Registered Member

I have a suggestion that you might want to try. Check your software on the laptop and see if you have any other backup software installed such as Nortons gost. If you do, uninstall it and any other backup software that you may have. Then try running acronis again.

What I have found is that under certain conditions, with certain software installed in combination with other software causes this situation to happen.

It's worth a try if nothing else works.

3. Magus

Magus Registered Member

Good Suggestion however I dont have any utilities like that installed

Also im using the Acronis Boot CD to perform these actions by-passing software conflicts like that

4. uptone

uptone Registered Member

OK. I find this very interesting. I have a question for you. How did you make the bootable DVD and what all is on it? Do you have the complete backup image of your system on this Restore DVD or are you telling the system to get the backup image from another location?

5. Magus

Magus Registered Member

This Bootable CD was created using NERO 8 from an ISO that support provided me.

The CD is similar to the one made using rescue media builder

The complete back up is on another drive.

I am using this rescue cd to restore an image from a USB hard drive

I have 4 hard drives

A brand new 320GB Western Digital laptop drive commonly referred to as the NEW drive

The stock 160GB Hitachi hard drive from Toshiba referred to as the OLD drive
    I have 2 of these stock drives

and a 1 TB Maxtor drive that I referred to as the 3rd drive

The objective is to be able to back up and restore the 320 gb drive using the rescue cd

The 320 gb drive does not work with the rescue boot cd at all while in this Toshiba

Western Digital Scorpio WD3200BEVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197

All the other drives work as they should regardless if their being used on USB or connected inside the laptop

The drive is not defective as I can restore and or copy it in windows in fact I’m running windows on it now however this requires me to remove the hd out of the laptop and attach it to a windows pc using usb and it works fine
    However this is a pain and defeats the purpose of me using this software or even this laptop as I will be restoring frequently

6. uptone

uptone Registered Member

Hi again,

From what you have told me in my mind I can't picture your senario will ever work because of one age old fact (lack of communication). The way I look at it is you have the what I will call the originator (the CD) sitting over here in left field trying to pass information to the receiver (the umb drive) that is over here in right field. Between you have the center fielder (the system that you are trying to restore). In your senario the system center fielder becomes the deadbeat and cuts off the communication from the originator to the receiver.

What you must do somehow is eliminate the deadbeat center fielder to get your senario to work. Where is blue ray when you need it. If you could put the entire mess on a bootable cd your problem would be solved. Or you can solve your problem right now by taking your system drive and making a small pass word protected zone that no one can get into but you and make your bootable CD recover the system from the zone instead of the right fielder. Sure you are going to loose some of the space from the laptobs system drive but you will be solving your problem until Blue Ray is affordable.

7. Magus

Magus Registered Member

Eventualy im going to only back up and restore using a 12 tb raid 6 NAS server and wont be playing with these lil toy drives however i dont think that will solve it either

i think this is a hardware compadibility issue with the 320 gb drive and requires a special linux switch to make it work. but this dosent make sence.
    why dose it work for a couple seconds and then quit?

i could try using the boot cd in another PC and see if it works with this drive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.