Boot Volume

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR BETA Forum' started by controler, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

Hello

This may have been covered but I didn't see it here. If there is a thread, could someone let me know and delete this one?

My first time installing FD Beta. I used Terabyte to setup two partitions which I have XP Home installed on one & Vista installed on the other. The Vista install is fresh. When I run the FD install program I get this error.
    FD-ISR requires that the Windows System System volume be the boot volume. Is this telling me I need Vista installed before XP Home?

thanks

controler

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

FD-ISR supports only the first partition.
    If Windows XP is on c: and Vista is on D:, then only Windows XP would be maintained by FD-ISR.

You should try to install Vista in a empty snapshot in C:.

3. controler

controler Guest

wilbertnl

Thank You

I assumed I needed to Install Vista first, which is wierd. I wanted to install the Vista Beta which I do not know if it was made for all OS's?

I did find if I reenable after trhe Vista Install which takes away the Bootitng boot manager I only get XP as a choice. I am sure theissue is party Terabytes but then again I don't have the latest Terabyte program.

So does the new Vista Beta work for XP & Vista? If so I will Install Vista first , then XP.

controler

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hello Con, wilbert

That is interesting posts.
    V complex configuration options to consider

Con: You are using the BootITNG boot manager and trying to get FDISR to cooperate?

That may well be a problem if BootIT is installed.
    That may be the best option.
    http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/fdisr/fdisr_faqs.cfm#13

Have you tried using BootIt from floppy only ?? Bit more clumsy unfortunately

I am not sure whether FDISr has to be on a named 'C' volume to work or if as wilbert suggested "the first volume" which can be manipulated with BING, but I think it only will work with "c" as primary.

There are some threads that may help.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=133555
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=748024&postcount=9
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=147160&page=2

I dont think you will be able to use FDISR on both bootable partitions.
    Maybe if installed on each, subject to previous comments, but I suspect not.

One of the above links (the third) demonstrates setting up FDISR as ersatz boot loader:
    That may be an option?
    FDISR afaik will of course copy/update any of the snapshots to your "c"drive,EDIT: and of course to archive file anywhere you like: external HD is good :) but the snapshot size will be about 70% of original if using compressed snaps function.
    You will have the FDISR preboot screen.

BING from floppy could still be used as partition manager (has been absolutely safe for me to date: moving, resizing, new etc), and as imager.
    IFW and IFD have been tested by users here and found to be able to save all FDISR snaps without problems.

If beyond that you still want multibooting to other "non-fdisr" partitions then I know that you can boot to other partitions with BING from floppy.

Hmm, there were some postings about switching FDISR preboot options on and off if rebooting to allow other bootmanagers including BING access, not sure how well it went.

crofftk
    silver0066
    lbainbridge
    dallen
    defenestration

and of course wilbertnl

have all done extensive experimenting with various boot options .

HTH
    :thumb:

Edit sorry, bit of a free ramble there, just thought I should wade in as I might be one of the few who have FDISR and TU.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  5. controler

controler Guest

Hi longboard

Normaly I just use the boot CD I created with Booitng for partition work.
    I might have to just delete the partitions and start over. I did read the reason for the new FD Beta was to make use of the EMBR, which allows third party boot managers.

I could install FD beta on the XP partition, then make a snapshot of Vista but that would defeat my purpose of testing the Beta on Vista. I just don't think it is the same testing FD beta on a snapshot.
    It's not really a big deal except when it comes to testing like this with two boot partitions, a persona hates to keep reinstalling the OS's LOL
    In this case a image wouldn't help much when manipulating partions.
    I am pretty sure it is my older version of terabytes software. I see the new version is like 1.8 and mine is 1.7 which I used mainly for testing Microsoft's Shared Computer Toolkit.
    I just thought it odd that when I activate BooItNG I lose the option to boot to Vista and when I deactivate BootItNG I gain it back via Windows boot manager.

I might download the newest version BooItNG and give it a go.

controler

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hi Con
    Ahhh got you, Sorry, brain feeling a little tight today :blink:

LOL oh yeah, : keep an Image :D offline (Shadow protect and ATI can keep the MBR as part of the "image" )

Then unless you have Vista in the "C' drive the FDISR prolly wont work.
    I have not tested this and Raxco support may be a help but you may be able to physically move your Vista volume to The first partition equivalent with BING ( or maybe even edit the boot.ini file) and installation of FDISR may regard it as "C" as default ??

Might be a bit of a fiddle?

The new version of BootIT is supposedly set-up to deal with the Blista boot loader. Not sure how this would go with helping the test you proposing

I think Peter2150 has had Blista on a VM with FDISR. ??

You may well need a second system ?? due to the default "c" drive set-up in FDISR

Head spinning again.
    I know you know what you are doing: if you dont mind (LOL) I'll just wait to see how you set-up the test.
    Look forward to your experience with BootIT 1.8
    Regards.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If by blista, you might that thing called Vista, I've never put it on a VM. I did have FDISR working on my host with Vista RC1. I loaded up Vista Business (release version), but my annoyance factor flew off scale before I was even thru the UAC crap. Grabbed my image recovery CD and that as they say was that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.