Boot Protection

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by meandro7, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meandro7

meandro7 Registered Member

I am thinking about buying Appdefend and Regdefend, but I wanted to know if either of them will protect my PC like Mcafee active shield does (before windows boots). I was also wondering how necessary this protection is since I don't think network connection starts before windows boots. Thanks for the help. :)

2. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi meandro.

This is *Exactly* what the next release is about.

The driver is active from the moment the computer boot. (well very soon in boot process).

You'll be able to inteact with the driver and make choises from the moment winlogon starts (that is before the logon user interface).

However this feature required a major rewrite of some part of code and need some tweeking to be sure we never interfere with the boot process.

As two why it is needed .... well you really dont want a malware to install hooks or prevent your favorite antivirus from running.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Where did you get the idea that McAfee protects before Windows startup? ActiveShield just does what other AV programs do - scan files in the background, handle definition updates and examine network traffic (email/IM attachments specifically).

No anti-virus software running within Windows can do anything until after Windows starts - only with Win9x/ME can this easily be done (via a DOS-based scanner).

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Maybe he saw a banner for that AV in the welcome screen like Kaspersky does.

dja2k

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  5. meandro7

meandro7 Registered Member

Glad to hear that you guys are adding early protection to the product in the next release. Just curious when is the next release and how often do they have updates? Thanks in advance.

I thought I read somewhere online that mcshield.exe protects PC's before windows boots, but when I searched for it all the sites said that it is just real time virus scanning.

Anyway I think mcafee must have something that protects the system in this way because it says "Shields your PC around the clock: always on, always updating, always protecting." on their site (they could just be full of bs though).

BTW Mcafee doesn't have an add banner in welcome screen like Kaspersky does.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.