Boot problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wraithe, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wraithe

wraithe Registered Member

I recently used True Image 8 to make an image of an 18GB partition that I wanted to get to another HD. I took a new HD with unallocated space and made the backup image of C:\ and then restored (verified) it to the new HD without assinging a Drive letter. Acronis made a new NTFS partition to match that of the existing partition. I also chose to set it as Active. When i boot using the newly cloned HD, it gets to the logon screen and does nothing. No prompts for a username and pass, can't hit CTRL+ALT+DEL either to get into the admin account. What do I need to do to resolve this?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Sounds as if your source drive consisted of more than one partition. In which case, if you create an image of a single partition it wont include the Master Boot Record info. In order for the MBR to be included you need to image the whole drive rather than an individual partition.

With your new drive connected as drive 0, boot from the Windows installation CD into the Recovery Consol and run "FixMBR". If that doesn't work, image the whole of your source drive and restore it to your new destination drive. The new drive should now boot and you can then use partition management software to delete the unwanted partions and reallocate the resultant free space.

Regards

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.