Boot Issue After Disk Clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Godot, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godot

Godot Registered Member

I disk cloned from a 45 GB drive (set as the master) w/three partitions to a newer 80 GB drive (set as the slave) and everything was ducky.

Once the clone was done, I tested booting from the slave drive (the clone) and it worked fine.

I then setup the 80 GB (clone) as the master and disconnected the original 45 GB drive altogether. Upon reboot it gave the, "Insert System Disk" message.

My problem (obviously) is that I cannot get the clone to boot on its own. The clone will only successfully boot when the (original) 45 GB drive is installed.

The boot sequence is set properly in the BIOS. The drive jumpers are set correctly. I am at a loss.

Help Mr. Wizard!!!!!!

TRUE IMAGE: 7.0 build 613

PS. I included the sysinfo file, but the Acronis report file was too big to upload (465 KB).

Attached Files:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Godot,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that we do not support Acronis True Image 7.0 because this version is rather old. You may purchase the upgrade to Acronis True Image 8.0 at our on-line store.

As for the problem itself, it seems that you need to fix MBR as described at Acronis Help Post. If you had hidden partition on the original drive you may need to edit boot.ini file on the new disk to be able to boot from the correct partition.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Ilya~ I want to (essentially) do the same thing - please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=82315. Unlike Godot, I have the latest version of TI8 and I'm running Windows XP Home. I certainly hope that I will not encounter a similar problem!

Also, do you know if Windows XP will require reactivation after cloning it to a larger drive and then using that drive to replace one's original system drive?

Thanks,
    Cindy

4. Acronis Support

5. Godot

Godot Registered Member

I appreciate the link, but fixing the MBR didn't help, nor did any of the other links.

So, on to my rant...

So I've spent $50 on a product that, when I try to restore/clone a drive for the first time, doesn't work properly rendering my system hopelessly tied to a soon-to-be-dead harddrive.

Now I'm supposed to spend another $30 to upgrade to the newer version.

I know everyone has to make a buck, but this is the one of the reasons that I hate the SW industry (and I'm a developer; business apps, not shrink-wrap).

I bought this product in the hope that it would minimize my downtime when I had to rebuild my system. Silly me! It's just another sinkhole for my money.

So, instead of spending another $30 for an upgrade I have no confidence will work any better than the version I now have, I think I'll deinstall True Image and Partition Expert (because I'm sure that when I need support for that product, I won't get it, and I'll be left in the lurch again). Then, I will give them a more decent burial than they deserve.

6. Acronis Support

Hello Godot,

Please try to use the latest build of Acronis True Image 7.0. You can update your copy of Acronis True Image 7.0 to the 638 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product. Then please clone again, if the error remains please contact us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Instead of a burial, why not forget about the cloning business?

1. Remove your current master drive.
    2. Insert new drive.
    3. Boot from your Windows CD.
    4. Format and partition the new drive into 4 partitions. Make the 4th partition large enough to hold a single image of any of your old partitions. 20 GB so?
    5. Install Windows on new drive.
    6. Shutdown.

7. Connect your old drive as slave.

8. Boot from True Image Rescue CD.
    9. Create image of partition N on old drive, store in partition #4 on new drive.

10. Boot from TI CD.
    11. Restore image onto partition N on new drive.

12. Set N= N + 1.
    13. If N <= 3 Goto 8.

14. Boot from new drive.

8. Godot

Godot Registered Member

MiniMax,

That was good. :D You actually had me going there.

-- Godot

9. neil conway

neil conway Registered Member

you could also try this as its worked for me twice.

leave new drive in pc on its own, boot off xp cd and select to install a fresh copy. do not use recovery console. eventually it will check for previously installed copies of xp, should find yours even if you cannot boot off it. highlight your copy and select to repair it. when done you should have lost nothing, but it should now boot. if your pc is fairly up to date it should take about 30 mins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.