Boot from Backup Capsule fails

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by heinziten, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heinziten

heinziten Registered Member

I have 'Drive Backup 9 Professional, and tried to create the Backup Capsule with the option to start the recovery system from backup capsule. However it refuses to make the capsule bootable, and I get this error message:

Operation failed

Can't open/create file

Error Source: Hard Disk Manager

Error Code: 0x10023

I use a dual boot (Windows 98SE on drive C: and Windows XP Pro SP3 on drive E:

The backup capsule is there, and I can backup to it - no problem, but I can not boot from it with F1 (or whatever).

HELP!!:(

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Heinziten,

Try deactivating the backup capsule and reactivating it. Also, with 0x10023, did you have any trouble backing up to the capsule? Can you verify that the archive is stored in there. Also make sure to select an F key that doesn't conflict with existing BIOS keys, F1, F2, F8, F12.

3. heinziten

Thanks Paragon Tommy,
    I can not find a way to deactivate the Backup Capsule, but I deleted it, and recreated it - with the same result. I get the pop-up error message mentioned above, and on the actual program window it says:

Updating 'boot.ini' file on HardDisk 0, Partition 0

Some error occurred:
    Can't open/create file.

I backed up again to the capsule. I checked that it is really there. I could verify the integrity of the image. I could also complete the restore wizard with the image in the capsule without a problem, but did not go through with it.

I also tried to use F1, F7, F9, and F11, all 4 are not used elsewhere.

Finally I came to the brilliant idea that my dual boot is to blame. I tried to install the program also under Windows 98 (on the C: partition), but it told me that this program does not run on this OS.

I am running out of ideas. Maybe I must just give up, since I can start the program with the rescue CD.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

If you have the Recovery Disk, boot to normal mode, use the boot corrector to search for Windows and update the MBR to boot to Windows XP first, edit the boot.ini from within XP to include 98, and reactivate the boot capsule.

5. heinziten

Thank you, I will try that.

6. heinziten

It works!!:D Yippeeee! It is super.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.