Boot Disks

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rwinegar, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwinegar

rwinegar Registered Member

I recently installed True Image on a Dell 8200 and created the set of boot disks. I just purchased a Dell Dimension XPS and want to install True Image on that machine. Will I need to create a set of boot disks specific to that computer or will the boot disks created on the other computer work on both computers. In other words, are the boot disks computer specific?

Thanks.

2. Seancfl

Seancfl Guest

all the same, however...

no they're not. A boot disk should work on any machine...

however, is your XPS uses SATA drives, you'll run into trouble as of today. The Boot CD doesn't seem to work wtih many people's sata drives. The PROGRAM will work fine from inside windows, but the BOOT disk is what you'll need when you run into trouble...so hopefully Acronis is posting a solution this week.

Sean

3. rwinegar

Thanks seancfl.

My new machine will have three 10,000 RPM SATA drives. I hope a solution is forthcoming. If not, one of my main reasons for buying True Image is dashed.

4. mareke

mareke Registered Member

While boot CDs are not computer specific make sure your boot CD was made using the version of Acronis you have installed on your computer. I have 3 Sata drives and Acronis works for me but I learnt the hard way that a boot CD from an earlier version of Acronis won't necessarily work properly with a different version. As soon as I burnt a current boot CD with the version of Acronis that was installed on my computer Acronis saw my Sata drives whereas when I used boot CDs made from earlier versions of Acronis the Sata drives were not seen.

5. rwinegar

Thanks mareke. That is good information and worth remembering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.