Boot Disk Questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by spondee, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spondee

spondee Registered Member

-Do I have to make a new boot disk every time I make a new clone (about every 2 wks)?

-How do I check to see if Boot Disk works??

Thanks

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

No, the boot disk doesn't have to be remade when you make a Clone ... only if you update to a new version of True Image.

To check the boot disk, boot with it and see if it boots up to the True Image menu.

Just to be on the same page, do you understand the difference between Clone and Backup as used by True Image?

3. spondee

spondee Registered Member

>>>Just to be on the same page, do you understand the difference between Clone and Backup as used by True Image?

I purchased Acronis JUST to be able to clone my drive. Do not use 'back up' features at all. Clone is an exact, bootable image of the drive I select, on an external HD. I hope that is correct!

Will try to cold boot to Acronis disk tomorrow,

And thanks!

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Clone is a "clone" of your drive usually used for replacing a drive.
    Backups are really an image ( snapshot including operating system et al) of your drive. You can fully restore a drive using an image, plus you can have several images backed up and restore to anyone of them. You can use images to replace a drive also. ( which I have done).
    Hope I have made this clear. One of the reasons DwnNdrty was checking with you, the terminalogy can be confusing.

5. CorkyG

CorkyG Registered Member

I have always used the bootable rescue CDR and the CLONE function to create a DUPLICATE HDD. This the perfect BACKUP for me in that it gives me a RESERVE drive ready to go at a moment's notice with no restoration required.

I never use the backup/restore function either because to me that involves an unnecessary step in the process.

If something happens to a drive, I simply move the Molex power plug to the other and keep on keeping on.

I re-clone every time there is a change or update to the OS, the Graphics drivers, service packs, etc.

I keep all my data on a separate RAID i array, and that is cloned weekly to an external single drive.

All of this happens with the TrueImage bootable rescue media.

I have been working this way long before Acronis emerged on the scene. I used to do it with DriveCopy - much slower that TI. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.