Boot CD does not work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fredfisher, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredfisher

fredfisher Registered Member

I have version 8 Build 800. I need to restore my image of drive C but my boot CD fails. The Acronis screen comes up but then the screen goes black with just the cursor blinking in the upper left corner.

What would cause this and how to I fix it. My motherboard is an ASUS P4C800 with 1Gb RAM.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. fredfisher

fredfisher Registered Member

Sorry I missed that one. I first tried quiet acpi=off noapic, it did seem to get farther in the process but still stalled. Next I tried acpi=off noapic and noted that it was stalling trying to access a drive.

I have and PATA (formerly IDE) DVD and disk drive, two SATA drives and a Lexar USB multimedia card reader. Once I disconnected the two SATA drives and the Lexar card read the boot disk worked. It was just luck that my boot partition was on the PATA drive.

Which raises the question of why it could not find the SATA drives because I do have a couple of computers where the Boot partition is on the SATA drive.

Fred

4. edecosta

edecosta Registered Member

Similar issues here on a new Dell Dimension 4700 with SATA HDD (Intel 82801FB/FBM controller) and I've already tried the "acpi=off noapic" trick to no avail. Seems like Linux (or at least the version used by the TI boot disk) is not supporting a number of controllers.

-Eric

5. FORD99

FORD99 Guest

I too have tried this as well as trying to get a report to no avail. Not until i disconnected my Mitsumi floppy, CF, SD etc, etc card reader did it then boot. Then i tried to install my image file onto a new SATA RAID config on a Intel 82801ER Raid controller, Asus P4P800 Dlx board.

Acronis needs to write this software to support at the very least Intel controllers and yes among others but Intel is the leader. Secondly if it doesnt want to go that far then it needs to at the very least then write it so that it has a option to load the drivers during a recovery or cloning as basically the software is useless. Thank God for Intels migration software which took my bootable SATA drive and migrated it to the new RAID 0 setup.

Now yes i tried the options for turning off the quiet acpi and it would still just stall into darkness, then i tried to get a report as instructed and it again would just stall. No offense to Acronis as this software is very good in an ATA setup with nothing else in the machines but in todays world that just isnt enough as most systems being sold on the market come with all these setups now and if the software cant support it then customers will just go to a software that works and i dont want to go to Nortons offering but it is at the moment the only thing that works as of right now.

What i would like to know right now is Acronis going to fix this and what is the ball park ETA of this?

P.S. Please dont ask me to rip my system apart so thi can at the very least give yoy a report as i dont think i have to and frankly i dont want too. Yes i am frustrated i paid for software that doesnt work and my setup is almost two years old, this software should be supporting this setup by now, dont you think?!

Thank you,

6. edecosta

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard.htm

I wonder if the real issue is with the Intel 915/925 chipsets. It looks like my Dell likely has a 915G as it does have both integrated graphics, an external PCIx graphics port, and support for DDR2.

Having get coughed up $50 for TI8, I think Acronis needs to be much more forthcoming about what is and is not supported by the boot CD.

-Eric

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

No offence Eric but wouldn't you have been better off test driving the free trial version before coughing up your 50 bucks? I realise that the trial version doesn't allow you to restore your system partition. However, you could have created a bootable rescue CD then created an image of the system partition and verified it. After that, you should have booted from the rescue CD and gone through the restore process up to, but not actually clicking, the Proceed button. If everything had worked out o.k. up to that point then you would have been pretty confident that a subsequent purchase would work as advertised.

Regards

8. edecosta

No offense Menorcaman, but your sort of comments add little to the conversation other than giving you an opportunity to demonstrate how much smarter you are than everyone else. But yes, silly me for thinking that TI8's boot CD would actually work with standard, commodity PC hardware.

-Eric

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well I guess it beats demonstrating how much dumber I am than everyone else.

Bye

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

If your computer doesn't boot at all even with "acpi=off noapic" workaround and the card reader unplugged (if there any) please boot the computer with Acronis Bootable CD once again, enter "Linix Kernel Settings" by pressing F11 button, remove the word "quiet" and wait till the output stops. Write down or take a digital photo of the last output strings and send them to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.