Boot cd and RAID

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aries58net, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aries58net

aries58net Registered Member

We have 2 server (2 PDC) with RAID 5 and we are evaluating acronis true image ent. server as a full disaster recovery solution. My question is ...if an OS crashdown occurs (BSOD) or what else ...can I use the rescue disk to fully recover the system ? i.e. will the rescue disk "see" the RAID as an entity or only the single disks?? Because ,if not, T. Image wont really comes very useful since I'd have to reinstall the OS and so on ....(OS:windows 2003 server, one server is a proliant 350M with raid5, the other is assembled.. but is a dual XEON with raid 5 too)

o_O

TIA

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

It really depends on the RAID controllers. If you post information about the controllers in question, I am sure you will get an answer.

It also depends on how you define a "full disaster recovery". If you can install (just temporarily for the duration of the recovery process) a copy of Win2K3 to host the Windows version of True Image - the type of RAID controllers *should* (to the best of my knowledge) become a non-issue.

You say you are evaluating True Image... Have you tried the trial version? Did it see your RAID'ed disks when booted from the Rescue CD?

Someone with more experience than me in these matters will hopefully post a follow up.

3. aries58net

I will gather those info..ASAP..anyway I thought that the boot cd would ask for a driver diskette (like F6 in windows) if it hadn't any built in....or am I wrong ? o_O

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

You are wrong.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aries58net,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Enterprise Disk Backup Software.

When Acronis True Image/Server is running under Windows, then it works with all the hard disk drives detected by the operating system. If Acronis True Image/Server is running in rescue mode (e.g. to restore the system partition), then the following RAID controllers are supported:

- P-ATA (IDE) RAID controllers (Promise, Highpoint)
    - Most of SCSI RAID controllers (Adaptec, Dell, LSI and others)
    - SATA RAID controllers (Highpoint, Intel, Promise, Silicon Image, VIA)

Some other RAID controllers may be supported as well, although we have not tested them yet, and the others will be supported with the future updates. You may download free trial version, create Acronis Bootable CD and make sure it will recognize your drive correctly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  6. aries58net

Well for the sake of precision..Here's my controllers:

Server 1: ADAPTEC AIC-7901 - ULTRA 320 SCSI

Server 2 :is a HP PROLIANT ML350G4 server with a dual channel U 320 SCSI and a SMART controller array 641

Are they supported ??

TIA :)

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aries58net,

Yes, these controllers are supported in the latest build of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server. If you will have any problems please contact us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.