Boot CD and Dynamic disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by EBL, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBL

EBL Guest

I have an error message saying the dynamic disks are not supported when i try to do an image with the boot CD. This CD has been created during the TI Server 8 installation process.
    The program is recognizing my disk (not a controler problem).
    Are the dynamic partitions supported with the boot CD ?
    Can we create an image of a dynamic partition?
    Can we create an image on a dynamic partition?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello EBL,

It would appear that the boot CD doesn't support Dynamic volumes.

Yes. Use Windows mode to create an image of the system volume to a "Basic" disk/partition. This can then be restored via the boot CD. Note that a "Dynamic" volume will be converted to a "Basic" volume during the restore. However, Windows allows you to convert it back again without data loss.

Yes. Again you need to use Windows mode but it can't be an image of a System volume. As it's a non-system volume you can restore from the "Dynamic" disk/volume by using TI in Windows mode.

The above information was derived from this <previous thread>.

Regards

3. EBL

EBL Registered Member

Thank you for your answors Menorcaman.

On my server I have 2 partitions :
    - System partition : RAID 1, Basic
    - Data Partition : RAID 5, Dynamic
    So, can I backup each partition on the other one and restore them later ?

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

No, the system partition needs to backed up whilst in Windows mode to a "Basic" volume and restored via the boot rescue CD. However, you need to determine whether you RAID 1 array is correctly detected after booting from the rescue CD before ever commencing a restore.

The Data partition can be backed up whilst in Windows mode to either a "Basic" or "Dynamic" volume. As it's a data partition there is no need to boot into rescue mode in order to restore. Because you will be imaging and restoring whilst in Windows mode, your RAID 5 array will be correctly detected.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.