Boost Your Wireless Signal With a Homemade Wifi Extender

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-...gnal-with-a-homemade-wifi-extender-296367.php

has anyone tried this? i sometimes have a slight connexion problem with my laptop, but i don't use it much and haven't looked to see where the problem is. i've only got one antenna on my router, i'd like to do an antenna hack with it :ouch:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A couple of years ago I built a parabolic reflector for my linksys wireless and could pick it up a block and a half away.but I didn't feel like broadcasting my internet for a couple of blocks so I took it off and made a highly directional one that worked even better.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

cool, that's what i'm going to do - make it so it works in the garden and in my bed lol. sometimes when i'm trying to watch a film it stops working, i'm going to check and see where it's breaking when it next happens.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you make a directional one, you can even bounce it around a corner useing something like a metal trash can lid. :thumb:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

lol. i'll have a look for things i can use.

6. SinisterSam

SinisterSam Registered Member

this to my surprise works. i saw this on digg a few days ago and tried it because it looked cool. and i think patrick norton knows his stuff. i didnt see a tremendous boost but it did increase the signal from 61% to 72%. i cant think of any other reason for the boost. in windows the signal is stronger maybe because of acers signalUP tech on my laptop. which i got for my birthday. linux has always reported a 61% link from my room and with this reflector it has increased to 72%.

ya my dad finally convinced me to use linux. which he put on this laptop i got for my birthday. dual boot. ive used it pretty much solely for the last two months. i switched back and forth at first. i didnt want to tell him hes right but i had too. im just a kid and still stupid. i should have believed him. i know better. :-( it does everything i need for FREE!!1!!! :)

he let me leave the the reflector thing on the wireless router i put it on. we have 2 of them. this one i use for surfing the other one my parents use for wireless surtfing and streaming music to the stereo somehow.. too tech for me. my dads a geek. :p i think were one of the few with media servers and a real computer room in the house. server rack and many desktops. a few are old. i think one is just a firewall if that makes sense. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.