Bogus UDP packets?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Chris Hargrove, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Hargrove

Chris Hargrove Registered Member

I've been working on an application that uses UDP, and today I downloaded the PE demo to analyze my packet data. While PE does correctly report the UDP traffic going to/from the app, it also seems to be reporting additional large packets being received (on the order of around 1828 bytes or so, usually) coming from 0.0.0.0:0, which are filled with zero bytes and which aren't detected within my app by Winsock.

These packets come exactly at the rate at which I'm doing recvfrom() checks, and they occur even if recvfrom() says that no data is waiting. Socket Spy reports these mystery packets, and says they are filled entirely with zeros. The Statistics window does not detect them, however; the "Total Datagrams Received" counter stays constant unless I start sending/receiving "real" data. The problem occurs no matter what port I use.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Chris Hargrove

Also, just as a note, I do intend to purchase PE (since it seems like an exceptional tool) if this problem gets resolved, since I need to be certain that all the packet data I'm looking at is real.

3. I'm also seeing this... anyone have any idea? Great software, but if its not accurate we can't buy it.

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I think there is a small bug in the socket spy which is doing this on certain calls to recvfrom() and recv() with certain parameters. I will have to double check this but thanks for finding this issue.

5. Chris Hargrove

Incase it helps, here's my setup for the recvfrom() call; it's pretty vanilla WinSock stuff:

Code:
    static unsigned char sReceiveBuf[2048];
    sockaddr_in addr;
    int addrSize = sizeof(addr);
    memset(&addr, 0, addrSize);
    int result = recvfrom(mSocket, (char*)sReceiveBuf, sizeof(sReceiveBuf), 0, (sockaddr*)&addr, &addrSize);

Also, I guess I should mention in my case that the sender/receiver are usually on different ports, i.e. when I sendto() or recvfrom(), the sin_port is often different than the port the socket is on. I figure this is probably no big deal and not the cause of the bug (since it's pretty much standard-issue behavior for NAT-safe applications) but I thought I'd bring it up just incase.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Chris, I'm sure Jason will have a fix this soon.

7. Anon

Anon Guest

Any progress on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.