BoClean vs Ewido

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Rainwalker, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

the hackers can't afford $40? how sad

2. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I heard they downloaded it from a warez site; however it was actually a trojan, so when they tried to subvert it they inadvertently created an antivirus.

3. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

oh yeah, that was 4.21 :D

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Yeah...:D ..me too..:mad:

I have to try it first...:cautious: :blink:

5. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Sorry for saying this folks...but has anybody seen BOClean's website? It looks like a 50-car pileup....surely they can make some improvements on their site. I'm sure their software is good...but a blind person can put together a better looking website.
    I think I'll try ewido.

6. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I use Ewido and love it prob one of the best Trojan Scanners I've ever come across and also I dont find it that heavy on system resources.

Had a good look at BoClean website but its a pity they done offer a trial version like what most of the others do.

7. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I really do like ewido--i am waiting to see how much memory usage 4.0 has.If it is still high i may jump ship to boclean

8. poirot

poirot Registered Member

the difference btw Ewido and BOClean?
    Lets assume you've got to go from London to BuenosAyres:
    BOClean-you paid in advance but a car collects you at home,you catch a latest model plane at leisure having time for a coffee at the bar and you arrive at your destination you didnt even realize it, still fresh and full of zest.

Ewido-you got to wake up very early to reach airport by bus,there's a crowd to buy the ticket,you get aboard but the journey will be split in two parts as you
    are forced to land at Caracas airport for six hours,and when you finally arrive in Buenos Ayres you're dead tired and its night.
    Moreover they remind you that you got to go back to the airport in 30 days to pay for the ticket which was not paid,yet.

9. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

They are changing their sites and pages, here's one example which links to others

http://www.privsoft.com/index.html

Priority number one goes to the malware department and getting those updates to us ASAP, which is how it should be of course, and how i want it any day ! I agree the previous artwork etc could have been better looking, but that hasn't put off the militry and big business as well as lots of personal users from choosing their excellent products, time and time again, and not just BOClean by the way.

I would rather have a very reliable first rate App every time, that does exactly what it's supposed to do, than worry about graphics etc on a website.

Don't forget that you can try it out for 30 days, and get ALL your money back no questions if for some reason ? you changed your mind.

What some people are not aware of is why BOClean is distributed the way it is. There is a VERY good explanation for all this, and it's in all our favours.

BOCLEAN GETS SUED FOR "RESTRAINT OF TRADE"

http://www.privsoft.com/archive/nws-dsc.html

StevieO

10. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Worst analogy ever.

11. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I have to agree on that one. :)

12. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Yes,i must admit,in retrospect,i exaggerated a bit about Ewido,it surely is not that bad. Matter of fact, i like it. Its probably only a bit less effective and more time consuming than BOClean, as you neeed to do a SCAN.....which can be a long one,for some.
    Also, i FOUND some malware which SpyBot and AdAware took care of later, in a machine running Ewido, but i never give work to these two programs,and i run Boclean.

I also assume TNT is a very young guy,judging from the Chuck Norris statements he's so proud of.......i dont think he's read many analogies during the last couple of weeks.

13. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Running both apps in memory, and all I can say is they are both great. However, if I was only to choose one of them, I would pick ewido. Not because BOClean is second to ewido, it`s because you have ewido integrated in explorer menu, which make you feel "secure" if you could check the file you downloaded. But if you have an old machine, then without any doubts I would choose BOClean because it doesn´t hog your system (lesser code/better written...). :)

Regards, C.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  14. TNT

TNT Registered Member

You assume... well, I'm 31. :cautious:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Like the man said, "Young!" :D

Acadia

16. Howard

Howard Registered Member

You can check an individual file with BOCLean - drag n drop it on BOClean's menu, (near the top is best apparently).

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Yep, I know. But to open up the menu you have to doubleclick the trayicon and by doing that you stop BOClean from running in memory. Then you have to drag the file to the menu...
    It seems to me, that it`s more easy to just rightclick and then pick "scan with ewido".

Regards, C.

18. poirot

poirot Registered Member

No Cerxes, you can just do a right click ,evoke the menu and drag the file on it,
    one click more simple.
    I dont think that by clicking on the menu you stop anything in BC, at all.

19. controler

controler Guest

I try to stay away from these X versus Y threads but unless Kevin has changed his mind with the new version, I think he has always said BoClean was ment as a second line of defense, to catch what your first line missed.
    I don't think it was posted on BoClean's site thill after the fact but the way I knew they were doing spyware was it started catching it out of the blue one day:)
    I see now it is mentioned BoClean is for everything under the sun that could be bad. Wayne and Kevin have been friends for years. The world has become a too busy a place. Now it seems there is not enough time in the day for some to make new friends. The antimalware program owners have it even worse.

Something I like to stress is SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can bet that most BoClean users here, will say Bocleans support has been
    awesome;) I don't know about Ewido, since I don't use it but if Ewido has great support, go for it.

I for one love the explanitory e-mail I get back from Kevin when i write with a problem, although I have not seen any lately. I never saw a generic technical
    e-mail. They were all one of a kind with unique humor added ey?

Good luck to you all in your search.

controler

20. StevieO

poirot is correct, you only need to right click once to show BOClean, and dragging and dropping something into any area is very easy and quick to do.

This shows that BOC doesn't stop memory protection when launched, using Process Explorer.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6565/boc14kd.png

StevieO

21. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I see people decrying "security through obscurity" all the time. I don't see why, though, since a lot of security works exactly that way. Every password you use works because of obscurity. Every key on your keychain works because of obscurity. Same with the SSL you use for online banking or purchasing. (Why not use plain HTTP? Not obscure enough?) Want to post your credit card number, social security number, and other personal info here? No, and you help keep it secure by keeping it obscure.

I realize that these things can be defeated, at least in theory, but the point is that you rely on them based on their obscurity. So throwing around the phrase "security through obscurity" without qualification doesn't do much.

22. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Poirot and StevieO, only because there are software components running in memory doesn´t mean that the guard itself is running... My statement isn´t something taken from the air, it´s written in the online manual that if you open up the BOClean menu, then the resident protection will stop:

Even if english isn´t my native language, I seems to me that the info is clear on this subject.

Regards, C.

23. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Well, nope, you're wrong. Strong encryption works based on the principle that the least amount of obscurity, the better (the only exception must be the the key). Please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon's_Maxim if you want to know more. This is commonly accepted as the basis of modern cryptography.

No, you don't. You rely on them based on the strength of the algorithm. All the encryption schemes accepted as reliable are public knowledge. The reason why there must be one piece of undisclosed information (this being the key) is obvious: without it, you can't encrypt and if you disclose it, there is no point in encrypting (since it is the piece of information you use to perform the "decryption").

But the rest is not obscure and is widely accepted that "a cryptosystem should be secure even if everything about the system, except the key, is public knowledge".

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  24. StevieO

Cerxes

I stand, well sit actually, corrected, as the info from BOC online manual clearly states ! Thanks for pointing it out. My screenshot shows BOClean running.

My sincere appologies for any confusion caused to one and all, due to my erronious error. I will try to do better.

I'm off now to give myself a good talking to, and if that doesn't work a severe spanking.

StevieO

25. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I can only say that I've always found BOClean's detection rate remarkable, and this has only been improved with the advent of its new "BOCore" driver which is able to detect rootkits that hide from the kernel, giving it a huge advantage over most of its competitors.

Having tried lots of security software, I can heartily recommend the combination of Nod32 (with its excellent heuristics) and BOClean.

Just my two cts though... anyway, Ewido is certainly also an excellent AT, and any form of layered defense is far preferable to using "just" a AV...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.