BOCLean Update to 4.12

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Atangel, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

My copy arrived a little before 2:00 PM local time today, so things are getting through. Not sure if this was due to the second e-mail sent this morning or not. Guess they're busy today. Well, off to install.

Blue

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

It was already said before in this thread, but may I too advice all users of BOClean to read the Online Support page:
    http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html

The Configuration has been changed with this new version, so read it ! ;)

For example there are now two new options:
    - Automatic cleanup of download folders
    - Automatic cleanup of winsock connectivity

Cheers, Jan.

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

And a very interesting read it was last night. I know :rolleyes: lol it doesn't take much to excite me does it. IMHO it just shows how much effort Kevin really puts into his protection product. I have a relative who use to write tech manuals for Motorola :p really tough to read...not Kevin he speaks straight. Security configuration is important. I second your suggestion certainly worth reminding the membership here at the Wilders. ;)

Just got my Upgrade too. Followed Kevin's instructions loaded, installed zero problems. Several hours after emailing them for it.

BoClean 4.12=Trojan Defense :-*

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

I sent a second email to NSClean and received my copy of 4.12 a couple of hours ago. It took 1/2 day to get the update after the second email. Total, a little under 3 days. Not good - not bad. Just a bit of a hassle.

Thanks for the link to the support url.

Rich

5. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I sent an email to Kevin and got mine in about 15 min. As it turned out, they sent it 3 times, but Outlook wasn't letting it go through as an exe file. I would have gotten it a lot sooner. So, I can't blame this on the BOClean crew. I'm very happy with their response. ;)

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

It's not a problem but I have found that the memory scan on bootup is more intensive than in the previous version, so startup times are slightly slower. Better protection I suppose.

I just had to become accustomed to the tray icon now changing red when you bring up the configuration screen. I thought there was a problem/trojan infection when I originally saw this new change.

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Blackcat,

Yes, when you double left click the BOClean icon to open the button bar for example because you manually want to click the Update button or want to open the Configuration screen, then the icon goes red.

From the Help page, quotes:
    As of BOClean 4.12, you will ONLY see the icon turn "blood red" IF a trojan has been caught and an alert is being triggered OR if you open the configuration screen or button bar, during which time BOClean goes "quiet" and you're unprotected. It will REMAIN red until all cleanup has completed, or when you close the button bar, whereupon BOClean will start its examination cycle again with the icon being blue until it has REscanned ALL memory and recalibrated itself.
    ---end quotes---

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2005
  8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi FanJ,

Yes I read the Help Page after I installed the new version.

In future I must remember to do it the other way round ;)

9. GHXU

GHXU Guest

Does anybody know if using the built-in updater is the only way to ge BOClean updates now?

Tried (and failed) to do it my normal way yesterday (d/l'ing from their site) but only got an old 4.11 update.

Could be temporary because they're busy. Can't find any info one way or another on their site.

10. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

11. GHXU

GHXU Guest

Thanks sick0... obliged!

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The following section is well worth noting:

"When the "Automatic cleanup of winsock connectivity" checkbox is checked, upon a detection of a nasty, BOClean will completely delete the HOSTS file from its location in order to circumvent corruption of the data present. The HOSTS file if used, will have to be replaced with a good copy. For anyone using a HOSTS file, it is therefore recommended that a backup copy be kept in order to replace the original if "file not found." This function ALSO removes any settings that are placed into the "ZONES" registry keys for "Domains," "Ranges" and "Protocol Defaults settings since these are often populated with redirects to bad places or worse."

13. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

So, it will do that even upon detection of something like the TrojanHunter Trojan Simulator? Or LeakTest? That could be quite a headache.

14. muf

muf Registered Member

Headache? Haha, you are right about that!

I was wondering what had happened!!! I suddenly found my trusted and restricted sites emptied. I wasn't sure if something had attacked me or some corruption had occured. But now i remember that once i install BOClean 4.12 i downloaded the leaktest file and ran it as a test to make sure BOClean was working ok. So now i know it was BOClean that deleted them. That was a major pain in the ass i'll tell you. Fortunately i had a HijackThis log which contained all my trusted sites. My restricted sites were generated from SpywareBlaster and Spybots immunize feature. I just re-enabled them. But it wasn't funny. No, not at all...

muf

15. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

:eek: . Oops.

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

That was one of the reasons I adviced to read the Online Support page ;)

(BTW: Hostess will also allow you quickly to get your HOSTS file back, in case you use Hostess to manage your HOSTS file).

You SHOULD have a close look at your system in case BOClean, or whatever scanner, gives you an alert ;)

And hmmm, OK it's only me again ;), you should have some kind of file integrity checker, that includes your HOSTS file in its database, to give you some kind of alert when you run it.

Cheers, Jan.

17. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Deleting the Hosts file and security zone data in the event of any malware detection seems a questionable action that would cause more problems for those security-conscious users that use these features heavily - a better option would surely be for BOClean to make a "known good" backup copy of both (with user verification of the contents) and to restore these copies instead.

This feature will be more of a problem for corporate and company users so maybe there will be a better approach in 4.13 - or 4.12.003.

18. Visiting

Visiting Guest

for manual updates, go here.......

ftp://ftp.nsclean.com/pub/boc412.xvu

---------------------

Does this update the program to ver 02 or is this the defs update you're speaking of. If it's the program update, do you rename this file after downloading it to a .exe file?

Confusedo_O

19. msanto

msanto Registered Member

That's the definitions file.

20. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmmm ... reading NSClean's email this morning I see that BOClean was updated to 4.12.02 on Friday 1/21. Unfortunately for me I got my copy on 1/19 (4.12.01). I don't recall seeing a notification to update my copy again, so I emailed Kevin and support.

21. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

These options were added to this version owing to experience with the latest in malware corrupting the winsock "Layered Service Provider" (or "LSP") stack as well as the winsock itself. In addition, numerous malware tampers with security permissions and profiles, and populates a HOSTS file with redirects which prevent users from getting to their antivirus or other important locations. If you find it's a problem, either turn them off or make a known good backup to restore the HOSTS file if you use it.

As to settings that are placed into the "ZONES" registry keys for "Domains," "Ranges" and "Protocol Defaults" we clean these as well since these are often populated with redirects to bad places or worse, and are not places the *average* user would (or should) venture into. That's why we handle those as well. They are intended to prevent malware hijacks from "reappearing".

Please read the support pages and decide if you wish to use these features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.