BOClean settings Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Libra, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libra

Libra Registered Member

Hi,

I was wondering how many people have "unattended cleanup and removal" checked in BOClean's configuration. I had it checked, but heard of a rare false/positive and decided to uncheck it.

Also, I do have "automatic cleanup of Winsock connectivity" checked. If BOClean had to perform this, would I lose the ability to connect to the internet? If so, how would I correct this in Windows 98se and XPHomesp2? Is there a file I should put to disk?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Libra

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

hi

boclean false positives are very rare, unattended clean up is a very useful feature if you're a system admininstrator in a corporate network. save's you a lot of support calls when boclean silently cleans the nasties.. :)
    also on a shared family computer i find it very useful.

boclean does fix winsock, no additional program needed. if you want to be 100% safe you could download lspfix from here
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

or perhaps winsockfix here :
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

i've never seen boclean fail the repair though :D

edit:toyps :(

3. Libra

Libra Registered Member

Hi illukka,

Thank you very much for your response. I'm happy to know that BOClean fixes the winsock, I don't need any other utility then.

I'm still thinking about changing the unattended cleanup.

Sincerely, Libra

4. jbob

jbob Registered Member

One thing you need to be aware of is with the setting "Automatic cleanup of winsock activity" if you have any static settings in your TCP/IP stack a BOC alert, even if a false positive, will reset it to default settings which is via Automatic DHCP. If you are using Auto DHCP to begin with you will not see any changes. Just something to be aware of.

Oh and I was reminded that setting will also reset you HOSTS file to default as well so if you are using a customized HOSTS file, you will need to replace it with a backup copy.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

After the false positive last night I was wondering if it is best to check the box - 'keep a copy as evidence' would this enable a restore of the DLL etc when a user clicks to delete the file completely?

Edit: I have just read in the FP thread this is an option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.