Boclean or Treatfire

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Badcompany, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbit

webbit Registered Member

i ran the eicar test virus, i turned off my anti virus bit defender and just left threat fire to go it alone and it let it in, no question should threat fire have picked up eicar, as soon as i turned bit defender back on and ran it again it bit defender blocked it and would bo clean have got it?

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I don't think you can test the effectiveness of a behavioural blocker by using a test for signature products.

3. 3xist

3xist Guest

In all honesty, BOClean has been around for years and made by a great person (Kevin). It's very good with genetic signatures (Great Heuristics).

4. apm

apm Registered Member

In fact BOClean will catch something that Threatfire/other AV miss
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1344998&postcount=3

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Dad Blasted! apm, i still after years can't get this app to react in a useful enough manner for me. But i will say this, i refuse to give up and will sit untill the cows come home or the roosters crow untill i see a 100% satisfactory result come from it.

EASTER

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I've been reading this thread from the start, and between a few arguments, I still know the same about BoClean, which is, I know nothing, at all.
    I mean, I know who developed it (not personally :D ) and that now it belongs to Comodo, for sometime now. But, is it that really a great antimalware tool?

At the official site, it is mentioned that "BOClean was designed by Kevin McAleavey, creator of NSClean - the original anticookie software - and IEClean internet privacy software and consultant in counterespionage technology since 1974. BOClean now protects schools, universities, corporations, government and individuals across the world. Our anti-malware technology can protect you as well.”

Do governments truly use it?

If it is that great or not, I truly can't tell, but perhaps Matt, who reviews antimalware apps, could test it? (Just a thought).

I also have never seen any review about it. And I mean reviews saying that it managed poorly, bad, averagely, well or very well at detecting it.

About ThreatFire, there are reviews that say it is a great tool and I know a lot people who use it and seems to be an excellent tool for the purpose it exists for. Personally, I never used it.

These are my opinions, based on the fact I never used them, and that I only know people using ThreatFire and not BoClean.

Regards

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

My own personal opinion is that there are not enough demonstrable benefits to BoClean that justify it's large resource usage.I'd want to see solid examples of actual malware that bypass all other layers,rather than just vague concepts.

8. normishmael

normishmael Guest

posted by m00nbl00d:
    If it is that great or not, I truly can't tell, but perhaps Matt, who reviews antimalware apps, could test it? (Just a thought).

Sounds like a fine idea too me.
    He has Forums now,I just need to try and find what I did
    with the address,maybe he will.

9. normishmael

normishmael Guest

10. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I am not sure that installing Bo Clean on highly infected machine is the best way to test an antimalware software such as Bo Clean. Bo Clean is not malware removing type of antimalware software. So, IMHO, better way to test Bo Clean will be to install it on clean machine and than to try to infect PC?

11. normishmael

normishmael Guest

Zimzi:
    I fully agree. Also,if you watched the vid,you see he ignored the first
    Bo-Clean detection,and, as he said, "let it run for 20 or 30 mins".
    He was in effect, using "real-time" as "on demand",and ignoreing
    any interactive responce required.
    The only "cure" for a machine in that bad a state is a clean
    re-instal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.