Boclean...Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by besafe, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Kevin is posting over at Comodo, seems like hes been busy and explained why he hasnt been around.

2. mowergun

mowergun Registered Member

I see that Kevin posted at the Comodo Boclean forum. Apparently he's very busy.

There still is no response from anyone at Comodo regarding questions about 9x. Kevin earlier said that the code for Boclean 4.23 that he turned over to the folks at Comodo was compatable with Win95, Win98, ME, and Xp, but that the wrapper (as he called it) that was put on the program by the folks at Comodo prevents it from installing on Win9x.

This and my other questions were, and are ignored. I think these are honest questions. I am a long term BOClean user and I have bought and paid for two licenses. My feeling as a paying customer is that I should at least get an honest answer to an honest question, even if the answer is not what I want to hear.

Oh well, at least the folks at SpyCop are still honoring their commitments to long time paid customers.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

My comments were based on my intense gut feeling after my interaction with Melih and some history about Melih from a trusted, very respected source that I cannot reveal that strongly confirmed what my intuition was telling me.

But Kevin has posted ...one post...an interesting post. Rather revealing though that it took a threat from the OP that he was about to post all over the internet that Comodo was dissing it's long term BoClean users (he's had it four years) for Kevin to find the time to post. I don't doubt Kevin is very busy, but in the past that never stopped him from posting especially when a long term user had a question and in this case the question went unanswered for over one month!

Kevin sounded upbeat and excited to be working on version 5. I can't shake my gut feeling though and when I have this strong of a feeling I am almost never wrong. Plus, I keep seeing in my mind's eye what I can't reveal and the two together make me still think this marriage will not last long unless Melih gets out of Kevin's hair and lets him run free and I doubt Melih can or will do that.

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Kevin has posted at the Comodo forum:

"New CBO 4.24 will be out soon"
    http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8915.0.html

I quote only the first part:

Please read further in that thread.
    Kevin explains several things there.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That sounds very encouraging!

I hope, as I have stated several times before, that this is one of the rare times when I have a strong gut feeling about something that I am wrong. It certainly looks that may be the case here. Perhaps, all the problems with the premature release of 4.23 was a good learning experience for Melih.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Customers(including most consumers) are very sensitive to their rights. Therefore any vendor should(let us say, ought to) maintain an reasonalbly fair PR work. Any action/reaction after lengthy inaction/nonreaction is not always remedial to a situation as such. Often, that straw could likely be the LAST one to break camel's back. Hope Comodo can learn this lesson sooner enough. Have a nice thinking, a nice day. BTW, nice to hear Kevin is active, losing a brain like Kevin will be a big blow to comodo CEO's face. IMO.

7. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

People demanding their free version caused alot of pressure to get version 4.23 released, which was released prematurely, unbelieveable, just pathetic, what money were these people losing out on that demanded their "free" product?
    Like I posted earlier in this thread if BOClean needed more work they should have waited instead of releasing it.
    Also since some people got defensive when I mentioned using the older version and that it was better than the new one it's funny how Kevin encourages people who have had BOClean to stay with version 4.22 until version 4.24 comes out.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  8. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

It was not a threat just a fact.I feel it is only one of many security computer programs out there and wanted an answer to my question.Sometime you have to get a bit loud to be heard and here is my thread if you care to read it. http://forums.comodo.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=6555f5f23054e596345ed44d62ca3313&topic=7905.0

9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

pugmug-
    At least you finally got an answer from Kevin himself but something in his reply to you was an eye opener.
    The very last sentence in his reply.
    I'm wondering how the support of BOC will be in the future?
    Thats one thing about BOC that was really great with Kevin and Nancy.

10. mowergun

mowergun Registered Member

I just read Kevin's latest posts at the Comodo Boclean forum and he has answered my questions and more. I feel much better. I am sorry if my frustration got out of hand and made me sound snippy or snotty. Kevin earned my trust a long time ago an just knowing he is on the job makes a world of difference.

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Glad to see Kevin is back and posting. Some good news in his post too. I can't wait to check out version 4.24.

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks for the link to the info. FanJ. Yes it was good to see Kevin speaking so frank and to the point as he always does. :thumb:

I await the 4.24. ;)

A proud user of 4.22. :)

13. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I've been testing BOClean along with Comodo AVS and Comodo FW for the past week and (so far) I really like the 'Comodo trio'. The only thing is that the BOClean uninstaller is broken, so if and when I decide to remove it, I'll have to do a Force Uninstall (or use Rollback Rx to restore an earlier snapshot). :doubt:

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  14. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Delete the uninstaller and then reinstall the entire program over itself. With a bit of luck that will replace the faulty uninstaller with a fresh copy that works.

15. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Cute trick Topper, I'll try that... Thanks for the tip! ~pv

16. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

My pleasure dear old friend.

17. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I guess what I don't really understand is what changes were needed for the re-release of BoClean other than putting the Comodo logo on it? Perhaps there are some patents or intellectual property issues that come into play that I am not aware of. At the same time, hasn't BoClean always been one of the top performers as far as AS-AT apps? Since that seems to be the case, I don't think the premature release was a good move, simply because the bugs in the program are only helping to confirm statements made by those who kept saying Comodo would take a good product and screw it up. Personally, I have been using 4.23 since the day it came out and have had no problems with it [crosses fingers, knocks on wood]. But I haven't gotten any malware for it to clean, nor have I tried to uninstall it, so it hasn't had to be anything but site there and update once a day. Since BoClean has always performed well, I just don't understand what had to be done to it in order to be re-released by Comodo. I do have confidence that the bugs will eventually be fixed, but I think it's the question of 'when' that many of us are concerned with.

18. john2g

john2g Registered Member

A different installer was used (Comodo).

19. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Vista compatibility...

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Like plenty of others i don't know exactly what changes in coding have to be integrated to be Vista compatible while at the same time maintaining stability & effectiveness for XP too, and frankly i don't want to know given Vista is not all that was expected from it anyway, but BoClean IS NOT the only program suffering instability issues, or issues in general because of Vista.

It's just that some other security related programs are fairing better/quicker to adopting over to Vista/XP, but it's definitely taking more time to sort thru all that mess thanks to good ole $M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.