BOClean (and maybe TrojanHunter) questions

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by SecurityFan, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecurityFan

SecurityFan Registered Member

I want to buy an anti-trojan for my sister’s machine. She has Windows ME, Norton anti-virus, CounterSpy, and Zone-Alarm’s paid-version firewall. I’m not as PC-literate as many others on this forum, so please bear with me. I have the following questions:

1. If I get her BOClean, I can install it on my XP PC also. I already have TrojanHunter. Would this provide increased protection for my PC? Or would they conflict with each other during normal operations? Or would they compete with, or hamper, each other if a trojan actually intruded?

2. Is TrojanHunter better than BOClean or vice versa at real-time protection for her PC? My guess is they’re comparable? I’m leaning to BOClean for her because of its light drain on resources. Also, I’m thinking only of real-time memory scanning and don’t care that TrojanHunter is way better at file scanning. I just want something to kill trojans that load into memory. I think Norton AV may be a little light in this department.

3. I’ve heard there was an issue with the latest version of Zone Alarms and BOClean conflicting in some way. Has this been fixed by now?

4. I’ve heard every time you boot, BOClean runs thru a scan that takes a while to complete. Many times I’m rebooting for some install, after a crash (her ME is unstable), etc. and don’t want to wait for a scan. Is there a way to bypass the BOClean scan that takes place at start-up? I’d want it to run most times but be able to bypass it at other times.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Art

2. muf

muf Registered Member

I have BOClean on my WinMe machine(1ghz 512mb ram) and it runs no problems. A friend of mine has Win98SE. He also runs Norton AV 2005, Zonealarm free version 5 and Spybots teatimer. This is a comparible setup to your sisters and he has no problems running BOClean.

1. I would not run TH and BOClean together. They could trip each other up. As to one being better than the other, well i have both. I've tried them both real time and for me i'm happier with BOClean. I use TH for on-demand scans only. This is only my choice because BOClean's real time monitor is more stable on my machine than TH's Guard.

2. As stated, i leaned to BOClean because of better stability. I also found it lighter on resource use.

3. I heard that too. I believe Kevin(Mr BOClean) has either fixed it or has a special build version of BOClean that remedies it.

4. BOClean doesn't run a 'scan' as such on startup. All it does is performs a quick check of the memory for running nasties. Take seconds. Literally.

BOClean does not have a scanner for scanning your whole system. It is resident protection only and monitors your systems memory for active nasties.

Hope this helps. If you have any further question's or wish to clarify point number 3 then e-mail kevin at support@nsclean.com

muf

3. poster2000

poster2000 Guest

From reading this and other forums, I noticed that Trojan Hunter doesn't do well against malware other than trojans, but Boclean does, so for that reason alone, I would go with Boclean, even if it doesn't have a manual scan available. I would spend my money on Boclean or Ewido, if I felt I needed extra trojan/malware protection.

4. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Forget Boclean , but choose A2 (squared) Personal, or Ewido
    or ProcessGuard or ShadowUser.

I am a licensed user of all the above, and have never found a thing with
    Boclean, because my Anti Virus would find more.

A2 and Ewido are a better and newer generation of antimalware.

Boclean, only detects Trojans when they are executed AND NOT detected
    by your AntiVirus and in it's list.
    So that means that you could have a Trojan on your system,
    and without knowing,mail it to others, if you don't have this Trojan executed/started.

Please search this forum before you buy, because there is NO TRIAL!

5. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

BOClean has caught some trojans for me, that my antivirus missed in realtime ;). BOClean is an extra program that I am glad I purchased :)

Regards,

Brandon

6. controler

controler Guest

SecurityFan could always install KIS 2006 beta also, good till jan 5th 2006

That's three months a free protection. If his sister doesn't like the firewall just dissable it and use another like Look & Stop.

controler

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

BOClean will allow single file scanning ,so you can check a file before you email it. If the trojan got on your system in the first place that means it bypassed all the programs you have a licence for including your AV so it's highly likely you could email it to someone. Also your antivirus program is supposed to find more than your AT as your AV is the firstline of defence and your AT second line. As for A2 and Ewido being better against the newer generation of malware, that is subjective opinion. BOClean has no trial this is where you are correct. However a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE is offered. Also a single BOClean licence allows the owner to install the program on multiple PC's and is a one time purchase whereas most of the programs you hold a licence for require annual renewal and additional licences if you have more than one PC. :)

8. tuatara

Agreed, I found thousands of malware because testing these is part of my job.
    All malware were detected by Kasperky or Nod32 boclean never found 1
    that they did not.

Yes, it is a personal opinion based on personal experience, like all here
    but they are
    in fact:
    1) A new generation (Boclean is much older and hasn't really changed
    the concept over the years).
    2) Ewido and A2 DID found trojans(and downloaders) that slipped thru
    the virusscanner that is what i found, and why would i say different??
    3) Ewido and A2 also find tracking cookies,dialers and other non-trojan malware
    And personally i don't mind what it costs, for me that is not important,
    it just has to work.
    And i see no use in a 2nd line defence that has not proven is't use over
    more then a year (after tested thousands of malware).
    About the money-back is this still available if after a year of testing
    i still never found a thing? otherwise i wish to have a refund!

Another thing is that i don't see A2 or Ewido as 2nd line,
    it works 'besides' your AV and you can't do without it, just
    as you can't work without a AV
    You have you AV mainly against Virusses and all it does more is extra
    and your Anti Malware against all other malware and if it catch a virus that is an extra.

This is the major misunderstanding i have with this product Boclean.

If i compare a firewall and an AV which one is first ?
    and which 2nd line (none if you ask me)

The same thing with AV and Anti Malware, the difference is that
    BOclean is always considerred as a 2nd line, that have to catch the things
    that your AV normally must do, but sometimes let slip thru.
    A backup AntiTrojan ?

Sorry no happy BOclean user here!

But it is good that there are people that think diff. about this,
    this makes the FORUM objective because I am not!
    :)

9. The Hammer

See the above post tuatara. Other peoples results are different. Indeed can you say nothing ever has been reported to have gotten past A2 or Ewido? Also Ewido seems to dominate postings in this forum because of a variety of problems it seems to have.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  10. controler

controler Guest

Of course I beg to differ.

I know for a fact Boclean has found thing other Avt-At's have not.

I can tell you Kevin has been around alot longer then some of the compitition.

I would NOT say he is old hat by no means. Just because WE are in our 50's does not mean we need to be put out to pasture. You don't think Kevin keeps tabs on the newest coding? let us have a big DUH!!!!!!!!!!

This forum does not like M. Paris either. BUT I would bet he knows alot more then some of the new commers.

It is all about building trust.

Here is the bottom line dude,,,,

You can't trust any security app 100 %

This leaves you with a regular LOW level format.

Guess somebody recently mentioned a low level format and a windows format were not the same. well that is another duh? but true.

Some BIOS do offer Low Level format.

Let me state it again ok?

Redoing puter !!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIRST reflash BIOS OK?

Then do a LOW level format.

Then install your image.

Do this once a week.

Now ,,, let us find a company that does all this for you......................
    with preferably ONE click

controler

11. tuatara

Yes, of course it depends on their AV

And of course things get past Ewido and A2.

But did you test with NOD32/Kasperksy and BOclean and
    tested the same disk-image with A2 or Ewido ?

Then i really can't understand after testing these for more then a year
    with thousands of malware, that you can compare A2 or Ewido with BOclean.

I would like to hear what other licensed users of all these products think about this.

If you are running NORMAN with BOclean, i am conviced
    that it will find trojans or trojanDownloaders that your AV missed.
    So yes i can agree with that.

But that is not comparing the products, what i did is connecting
    disc images with malware and test it with all the above to see what is happening.
    Based on that experience i would not choose BOclean
    Another thing is that if you mount a disc or USB memorystick
    or CD or DVD that contains data, you can simply scan the whole disk
    with Ewido or A2, even Network attached storage, but if you want to know if BOclean finds anything this is NOT possible.
    So it takes a VERY LONG time to find out if there is an infection
    on that media.

but i think i have wrote enough about the above,
    wait to see what others think of these products.

So, i hope to read more from someone who is a licensed user
    of all these 3 BOclean A2 Personal and Ewido also.

12. muf

muf Registered Member

tuatara,

You're having a laugh, right? The OP asked the benefit of choosing BOClean over TrojanHunter. You post in this thread that you don't rate BOClean and that the best choice is A2 or Ewido. I'm sorry if i've missed your point here, but you have not replied to the OP's question. You have come into this thread with your own opinion and demonstrating that annoying habit of touting your pet products. If you've got nothing constructive to say to the OP about the choice between BOClean and Trojanhunter then please kindly remove yourself from this thread. Your being here making comments about products that the OP never asked about is simply hijacking the thread. The OP never asked about A2 or Ewido so why did you have to mention them? Because they are your pets. Go away please, you are most annoying!

muf

13. hubbahubba

hubbahubba Guest

No need for any apology, tuatara....as you know, although BOClean does not have a forum located here, they do have a dedicated and loyal fan base that will hype and defend the product to the end. It may very well be as good as they suggest, but the opinions and information they provide contain only praise with absolutely no criticism (constructive or not) what so ever. Therefore, I'd advice anyone reading any threads regarding BOClean to take it at face value only and consider the sources (usual and customary praise from same users on a cosistent basis). All you did was offer your opinion and present your experience with BOClean....there certainly was no need for YOU to come under any scrutiny or criticism.

14. The Hammer

All he did was hype products he sells. Nothing wrong with this if you state that at the outset, which he didn't unless you click on the link to his website and do some checking and BOClean isn't one of them.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  15. Mikkey

Mikkey Guest

lmao. Well said. Very well said indeed. I hadn't noticed that. You are of course correct. Salesmen selling their wares...

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Dedicated BoClean user here. Have used A2 scanner (free) along with it on family machine too.

Never used Trojan Hunter. But then again why would I ... :D

I got BoClean. ;) ;)

17. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

personally i've found both trojan hunter and boclean very useful
    i run TH scanner only (ewido too ) and boclean is taking care of the resident part

i guess you dont find out bocleans usefulness until you get something. the best part of it is its great removal capabilities

and while i'm at it: any antivirus can be fooled with a few simple clicks. while your av misses it, usually boclean(or THGuard or EWIDOGuard with memory scanning ) will still nail it

the question which one (boclean or TH ) depends mostly on if you need a scanner or not. both have adequate real time protection

18. pepim

pepim Registered Member

Hi muf,
    I felt the need to react; I really don't see the problem. OP can do whatever he pleases to do.
    What's wrong with sharing one's experiences? And of course he believes in the products he 's selling, that seems very logical to me.

19. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I am a licenced user of a2, and have also used ewido trial version, and am currently trialling TH.

I initially praised a2 because I thought the IDS was great, and was also impressed by their website which looks very professional. However, after usage I believe it to be a poorly programmed piece of software. For instance, it consistently fails to detect changes in an application exe, which effectively renders this part of the IDS useless. The authors of the a2 have been aware of this problem for a while, but have still not fixed the problem. There also seems to be a lot of problems with the latest 1.7 beta, which have not been addressed, despite being aware of them for several months.

The app is also programmed in Delphi, which doesn't inspire confidence about the knowledge of the developers of security software.

I have trialled ewido a couple of times, and believe the underlying engine to be better than a2, but the ewido guard caused application startup to take too long. If they can fix this problem, I would take another look.

TH seems OK after a couple of days use, with low memory consumption for the guard. However, I have not really tested it thoroughly.

I have not tried BOClean because they do not have a trial version. I know they have a money back guarantee, but I don't believe in shelling out money for a product I cannot test in advance.

Because of this, I would definitely not recommend going with a2.

THGuard has low memory/CPU consumption, but am not sure of it's effectiveness yet due to lack of testing.

ewido seems promising, but has a few problems on my machine. They also don't have a user forum which makes me think they are not open for discussion (or maybe they are worried that too many people will post negative remarks about ewido).

20. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I understand your point and I can not speak for muf, but the same old continual slam of BoClean by this creature gets really old... you have to have been around here a while to get the full bitter flavor :p of what is being dished out as advice by some. If only it were something new to be offered. :(

21. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

FYI
    http://castlecops.com/f196-Ewido.html

aint official but

22. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Thanks illukka.

I hadn't noticed that forum before. Do you know if the ewido staff frequent it ?

EDIT: If the net version of the ewido guard fixes the problem I experience with slow startup of some apps, then I would purchase a licence for it and recommend that as a primary AT.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  23. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

AFAIK they know of its existence and approved it
    also i'd like to point that the forum is hosted by some very capable persons :)
    ( the CCSP spyware hosts-team )

also AFAIK its a decision they made knowingly (not to have official forums )
    although that might change ( popular demand :D )

yknow some people see the wilders "other anti trojan software"-forum as an unofficial ewido support forum :D

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Read this by Nancy McAleavy. It explains exactly why BoClean offers no trial. BoClean is seen legally as a "subscriber service" or "club" that one joins for a "membership" fee rather than as a common carrier. The distinction legally rests on whether or not there is a public evaluation copy available and for BoClean there is not. There is a very important advantage for BoClean, and its subscribers, in having BoClean legally defined in this manner. Read the section of Nancy's article regarding Netbus for more explanation.

You will also have just about any question you have regarding the history of trojans and how BoClean came into existence, etc. answered in this excellent article.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13404360

25. muf

muf Registered Member

Ok, a couple of things here. You seem to need educating on what certain things mean.
    1. OP = Original Poster. As in the person who started this thread. So when you say "OP can do whatever he pleases to do." The OP is not tuatara. The OP is the person who started this thread, and that person is SecurityFan. You of course were thinking of tuatara when you read my reference to the OP.

2. The OP(SecurityFan) did not say they wanted opinion of A2 or Ewido. So that is why i criticised tuatara, because tuatara tried to hijack this thread and promote an application that tuatara sells through their website. So when you say "What's wrong with sharing one's experiences? And of course he believes in the products he 's selling, that seems very logical to me." you are totally wrong. Because this thread is not asking for opinion or sharing experiences with A2 or Ewido. There is simply no logic in that.

So if you are going to stick up for someone who likes to hijack a thread and comment useless information that does not relate to the question asked by SecurityFan, then at least read what i said, and understand what i said first.

Thank you,
    muf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.