BOClean 4.21 released

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Nancy_McAleavey, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

What other applications do you have booting up along with BOClean. (For those of you with the problem).

2. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Nod32 and a Weather eye program. I do notice that it takes Nod32 a long time to load now.

3. Trooper

Interesting. I use NOD32 as well. I will install it later this evening when I get home from work and let you all know what it's doing on my system

Cheers.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So am I.

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Ditto.

snowbound

6. Threedog

I uninstalled Nod32 and rebooted and got the same problem so it isn't in Nod32. I then uninstalled Boclean and rebooted and cleaned up the Boclean folder and files in the temp folder and rebooted and installed it again and rebooted and got the same 50% (Intel Hyperthreaded CPU) CPU activity until I disabled Boc421 in task manager. This is with no AV installed and anything in start up disabled. Stopping the BOC421exe and restarting it manually took care of the problem again.

7. The Hammer

When I first installed it last night. It initially hung and consumed 100% CPU. I rebooted and all was fine, today no matter what I do it stays at 100% uninstall, reinstall, reboot it makes no difference. Unfortunatly I did not keep the previous version so I'll trial Ewido for now. I sent an email to BOClean support.

8. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello all,

Add me to the list of 100% system CPU & system hang after installing of BOClean V4.21 IF BOClean is started via/at system boot-up. In my case (and maybe it's not related), the problem starts when Bitdefender initializes after BOClean is already "up".

KDCDQ

9. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

I run no real time A/V, just Kaspersky on-demand scanner, so the A/V theory is out. I am not gonna stop all my other layers of defence so that BOClean can work nicely (ProcessGuard KAH, and Windows Defender are the only other real time security apps I run real time). They coexist peacefully, and they still do with BOClean 4.20 which I re-installed after I uninstalled v4.21.

As I said before, it's unlike me to install new versions of apps before getting some feedback from users, and this experience reinforces that practice. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

10. Trooper

Im not seeing any excessive CPU usage on my system. Here is my info.

Windows XP Pro w/SP2 (Fully patched)
    1.5 GB of RAM
    Intel 3.0 Ghz P4 w/HT

Running resident and upon boot. (Yes I have added some stuff since the last time I was here). :D

Kerio 2.1.5
    WindowsBlinds Version 5
    Yahoo Widget Engine
    Ghost Security Suite - Includes AppDefend and RegDefend
    BOClean 4.21.001
    NOD32

I will keep an eye on things, but so far I am not noticing anything crazy. Just the "normal" BOClean spikes that have occured ever since my purchase. Those can range from 2-8% upon it's polling.

11. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

Well, it is more than obvious that this is system dependant, however I have less apps running at startup than you do, and BO 4.21 hangs as soon as I attempt to update its defs. I have a P4 3.6Ghz w/HT and 1GB of RAM. Mysystem is a fully patched XP Pro SP2 as well, yet the 50% processor usage and the hanging is simply not acceptable from software that must be tested under many configurations before being released. My configuration is quite vanilla as well. I don't run 2 resident A/V packages (total anal idiocy IMO), nor do I run another anti-trojan. BOClean should work just fine, but for some reason BOCORE.exe doesn't want to play nice.

12. Trooper

Don't know what to tell you then. I guess wait for BOClean support to get back to you.

I never used to have this many things running resident either, but I've lightened up a bit.

As for two AV's I don't run them either, so don't really know what you are trying to imply.

As for folks who do that, I say to each his own. At least it's not as bad as running two software firewalls. :p

Cheers and good luck.

13. nameless

nameless Registered Member

This advice is apparently not necessary anymore. But still not harmful...

To the people having trouble with BOClean 4.21, who also run NOD32: Each new version of BOClean uses a settings file (i.e. INI file) with a different name. In the new version, the file is named BOC421.INI.

Try going into NOD32's AMON component, and excluding %SystemRoot%\BOC421.ini (usually C:\WINDOWS\BOC421.INI).

With previous versions of BOClean, the advice (straight from Kevin) used to be for the entire BOClean install directory to also be excluded from AMON. This had to be done using LFN and SFN both--e.g. C:\Program Files\BOClean and C:\PROGRA~1\BOCLEAN. I'm not sure if that advice still applies.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  14. Trooper

Good point nameless, and I remember that. I don't think it's valid any more however.

One thing that I noticed and maybe the others could check this (in addition to what you stated to be safe) is this.

When I upgraded, I did the following.

Uninstall BOClean 4.20.
    Ran CCleaner to clean up pc, and also ran registry cleaner.
    Opened up Windows Explorer. I deleted the folder and sub-folders located at C:\Program Files\NSClean. The BOClean uninstaller from the older version does not remove this by default.

Next I installed the new version, let it update, then rebooted. Now I am not saying that this is a proven method for success, but that's what I did.

I wonder how the other users here who are having problems performed their install?

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I'll keep on :ninja: about and hold to the old version for a while longer. Much thanks to all those who put it on their systems early and report back. :)

One thing I know for sure any problems will be fixed. ;)

16. The Hammer

I did everything you did except run CCleaner. The NSClean folder was empty though.

17. kenw

kenw Registered Member

also same problem. an amd and p4 system.
    only thing in common is nod32 and outpost.
    i am leaning towards nod32 conflict at this time.

error 7000
    boclean kernal moniter failed to start
    specified driver is invalid

on both machines.

but the service iis running

total uninstall and clean up was done

18. Zev0

Zev0 Registered Member

Ditto here, only I ran RegSupreme.

19. The Hammer

See post #31. It's not NOD

20. Threedog

It still does it without any AV. I've tested it naked, with Nod, KAV, and Norton and it still does the same. I am also getting the Kernal Monitor error.

I got an email back from Kevin and he is working on it so hang tight.

21. Trooper

Wow this is a strange problem indeed. So BOClean is making your systems continually max out at 100% CPU utilization? :blink:

22. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Yes, Trooper & all, the 100% CPU with BOClean V4.21 is not a laughing matter once it happens to you.

Maybe we're missing the commonallity of this problem.

I am running XP Home with SP2 installed. Other started/resident tasks include Bitdefender V9 Standard, PestPatrol, and TrojanHunter.

What is odd about the whole thing is that I can install BC V4.21 normally/correctly and then immediately start BC up, and it will run with no problems. The 100% CPU/lockup occurs when rebooting with BoClean V4.21 set to auto-load at startup.

23. Trooper

While my system is not having this problem, that does not mean I don't believe you all. There has got to be something that you all have in common, I just don't know what it is.

I am confident that Nancy and Kevin will remedy the situation however.

24. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Trooper: my appologizes! :D

I didn't mean to take at shot at you with my E-mail; my intent was simply to emphasize that this problem is affecting several of us in the same (bad) way.

As for me, I'm glad that your system is unaffected. Misery doesn't always love company....

25. SSK

SSK Registered Member

ADVICE NO LONGER VALID with the new version of 4.21 (see Kevin's post on the next page).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.