BOClean 4.11

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by FanJ, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Quoting PSC:
    [hr]

NEW BOClean 4.11 has been released. The current BOClean 4.10 will become
    obsolete on September 10th, after which no further database updates for
    BOClean 4.10 will be available.

The UPGRADE to BOClean 4.11 is provided at no charge for legitimate
    customers. Send an email to:

upgrade@nsclean.com

with:

real name
    email address when purchased
    order number (best)

... and within 24 hours, we will send an upgrade to you once we verify you
    in our database.

*IF* you opted for the Digital River "Extended download service," then you
    can go directly there and get your copy NOW.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Quoting PSC:
    [hr]

Doubleclick your original BOClean traybar icon and select "Shutdown
    BOClean." Then uninstall BOClean 4.10, and then you can install 4.11 and
    use it right away. If you have ANY problems uninstalling your original copy
    of BOClean 4.10, then install BOClean 4.11 ON TOP OF IT, then uninstall
    BOClean 4.11 and then finally REinstall BOClean 4.11. This will ensure that
    all old traces of BOClean 4.10 have been removed. If you do NOT remove 4.10
    before installing 4.11, this will NOT cause any problems.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Anyone have the new version yet?

I am still waiting for mine to arrive.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Blackcat,

Not yet. I just saw the news an half hour ago and I still have to send my email to PSC.

It is always possible that, when lots of people are sending their email, it could take a little bit longer ;)
    I guess they are getting a huge amount of emails these days ;)

6. Blackcat

Very interested in what 'new technical issues' this new version solves.

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ahem...we've got it - and have been testing it as well ;). Our rating stays up for sure.

A small addition to the "install" question, uninstall and install the new version is recommended:

Preferred of course, but 4.11 is smart enough to cleanup the mess since another antivirus company done some bizarre things in the past few months that tend to make uninstalls not happen anymore. So, to ensure that "satisfying and meaningful user experience," we've given 4.11 the smarts to damn the torpedos and cleanup.

That and the fact that the recent Microsoft updates
    did away with DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) so folks were starting to have problems installing or uninstalling "Program Groups" with our earlier
    "compatible with Win95 also" installer. We've since fixed it.
    So if someone had a problem taking out 4.10 and got pissy about it, then they can install 4.11, uninstall it, then REINSTALL it and that would take care of all those
    fastidious situations.

..quoting PSC.

regards.

paul

8. Paul Wilders

Have a look over here ;)

regards.

paul

9. Blackcat

Thanks, Paul ;)

Looks like Kevin has been busy of late. I was not surprised that they are staying only with the running guard component and no on-demand scanner.

So I have new versions of NOD and BOClean to play with. I hope they remain compatible with each other.

10. Paul Wilders

My pleasure ;)

"kind of" is rather an understatement. I would urge all BOClean users to have patience in regard to receiving their new version; it could well take some days. Give PSC some credit here!

No problems over here - but I do hope the same!

regards.

paul

11. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I am happy to see that PSC learned from the 'mistake' they did with the previous upgrade. This time BOClean uses don't need to stay unprotected while waiting for the new release. :)

wizard

12. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

;) thank you jan thank you paul you guys the man yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:)

13. Blackcat

Just received version 4.11. No problems with install after removing previous version. It's updated itself already.

And no problems so far with AMON and I have not used exclude list with either program.

Some nice new features with this new version.

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Sounds good Blackcat :D

Thanks !

15. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I hate to post this, but I just wanted to know if any other people have had the problems that I have had. I have Windows XP, NOD32 Ver 2. I bought BOClean 410 about a month ago,right after getting NOD. I have been having some programs slowing a lot. Today after updating to BOClean 411 everything started locking up. Why me? Internet Explorer wouldn't respond until I closed BoClean. I uninstalled and I am afraid to try a reload.

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi William,

At the moment I cannot advise you from my own experience....

Have you tried to exclude some NOD32 files from BOClean?
    See here:
    http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html

Or otherwise, have you tried to exclude BOClean files from NOD32?

17. WilliamP

At the time I downloaded Boclean 411 I had NOD ,s AMON disabled. IE wouldn't respond. It would lock up. I don't know what to do now for an AT. I know that BOClean is supposed to be good . I guess it just don't like my system.

18. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

What you should do, is send an e-mail to support@nsclean.com

BOClean's Kevin McAleavey will be sure to help you get to the bottom of this, and provide a fix.

19. WilliamP

I have E Mailed them. I am really disappointed that I'm having these problems.

20. FanJ

FanJ Guest

And that's for sure !!!
    Kevin has always helped people when there was a problem !!!

But please keep in mind that Kevin and Nancy are extremely busy at the moment with answering all emails.
    They both deserve definitely some sleep ;)
    So it might take a little bit longer than usually before you get helped.

21. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Also, no two operating systems are alike. There are tens of thousands (and probably more) different applications, and there's no way a developer can predict how all of these will interact.

FYI, I'm running Nod32 v2 and BOClean 4.11 here, and I don't have this problem, so it can be done.

One thing is sure: Kevin will do his level best to help you fix this.

22. sig

sig Registered Member

Have you read the info available on the PSC site? Look at the section "In Case of Difficulties." http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html

If that doesn't help you can email them for support. They are known for excellent support and reportedly will work to try to resolve issues even if it's caused by conflict with other apps.

BTW I've been running NOD32 with BOClean without problems, but I understand that some people do have problems with that combo.

23. Blackcat

I have had few problems with the NOD/BOClean combination, but I have found that it is dependent upon the operating system,and/or the hardware/software combination.

On a Win 2000 box, I had to exclude BOClean from the AMON scanning list and the exclude did work. However, I have just moved NOD from this computer to a Win XP Pro Laptop and both seem to work as they should with no exclude being applied.

William has a Win XP system where the 2 programs are not very compatible and his AMON exclude function at one time did not work.

However, despite all systems being unique, there seems to be a genuine conflict between the two programs on some computers. And this has been a long standing problem.

NSClean as mentioned give excellent support but they may suggest that the problem lies with AMON!

Surely the 2 companies could cooperate and see whether they can find a solution?

William, if you have a disc-image of your system, why not try installing from scratch? I reformated my laptop and everything is working as it should. Have you tried a Registry/General cleaner to remove any junk on your system?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hope you find a solution.

24. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

after uninstalling 4.10, then installing 4.11, i now have two BOClean icons in the systray... one for 4.10 & one for 4.11

weird.

all else seems fine. 4.11 updated upon request.

i don't want to bother nancy and kevin with an email support request, thinking someone here might suggest something

maybe another reboot...

that 4.10 icon in the systray is bugging me

regards

:)

mark

25. Greetings ... was about to head in for the night, but the BEST answers come directly from us ... might take a little while since we're overwhelmed, but we don't bite. Really! :)

It sounds like somehow you've got a system restore thing going on there. What I'd suggest you try is first make sure you have a copy of the original install file handy, then go ahead and UNINSTALL the 4.11 ... it'll remove any of those pesky fragments of 4.10 (be sure to shut both BOCleans down first - doubleclick the traybar icon, select "Shutdown BOClean") ... then you can go ahead and reinstall and everything should be MUCH saner.

------------------------------------------------------------

As for the confusion over installing over the existing, or the sudden "urge" to uninstall first, there should be no harm for MOST people in just installing on top of the original copy - but we tend to overcompensate for those few that DO run into problems, which is the reason why I suggested uninstalling in this version just in case a situation like this happened to come up.

Between Microsoft's "security patches" and some strange things the Antiviruses have been doing lately, our original design for install/uninstall ran into problems here and there with "DDE problems" and that caused us to completely rewrite it. For the vast majority of folks, everything goes smooth as silk. But all it takes is one or two who have a problem to make for unhappiness. Just thought I'd try to explain the whys and wherefores.

Long day, off to sleep for me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.