Bluetooth 5 is coming: Double the range, four times the speed

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jun 10, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I like 4x the speed but not the 2x the range. You start getting into greater security issues then.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Bluetooth 5 Now Official

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I am not happy they keep extending the range of BT. One of the big advantage of BT was it's limited range (about 10m/33ft). This is plenty for keyboards and mice, paired external speakers and headphones, and pairing our cell phones to our car's info/communications systems.

But now that BT range is being extended, that means a clever bad guy can be further away and still connect to our devices. And make no mistake, they will figure out how to do it.

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I'm inclined to think the advertising/connectionless features will cause some problems for security/privacy. I'll try to keep an eye out for good material on that subject, and share any I find. Please do the same.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed. I don't want more range. It would be nice if they would include a range setting that reduced the transmission power if you didn't want the extra range.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I agree, I'm also not happy with it. A bit off topic, but recently I have started using PIN-cards that can be used for wireless/contact-less payments, I must say it's handy as hell. But overall I'm not into wireless products. I thought about buying Bluetooth speakers, but decided not to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.