Bluetack’s hosts file has some serious false positives…

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Matt_Smi, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I have been using Bluetack’s hosts file for some time now but I am about to ditch it because of the legit sites it blocks. Cnn.com for example, but even further it blocks regsoft.net which is the site you need to access to purchase Regdefend and PG for example. It also makes e-bay, download.com and Yahoo look messed up. I know that I can take these sites out myself, but every time I update it they will just be back. I really like how though the hosts file is, and how I can update to the latest one automatically with their Hosts program, but I am thinking of just switching to MVPS. Is there are place on Bluetack’s forums that I can report these wrong entries?

2. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

3. Moore

Moore Registered Member

Regsoft were added from the Webhelpers transponder spyware lists as they support the majority of the worst scam anti-spyware programs on the net .. As for any others , if you report them and they are actually legit we will remove them. :D

If you use our hosts manager you can now exclude or include any entries you want with the new version , so that you dont have to keep removing [ or adding ] things after each update.

The Bluetack hosts file is updated every day , so if you are having problems they will be fixed immediately.

More info here:
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=125

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Hi Moore,

That is weird that Regsoft are scam AS pushers, but also the domain for PG/RD purchases. Also I do use the host’s manager and really like it but was not aware that exclude will keep the entries from coming back even during and update. I will defiantly just go though and exclude the entries that are bothering me. I still don’t get why cnn.com is blocked though, I may report that. Otherwise you guys keep up the good work with the host’s file and manager program!

5. Moore

Moore Registered Member

Thanks Matt , glad to hear you like the hosts manager.. :D and thanks for your post , cnn.com has been removed and will not be in the hosts file when its updated in the morning.

I'll have a closer look at regsoft , and please do let us know if there's anything else you feel doesnt belong in there.

The hosts manager exclusions / inclusions is a new addition to the latest version , since theres often different opinions on what should and should not be blocked , it helps to make the hosts a lot more personalised.

anyway cya around. :cool:

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hello Matt and Moore,

Glad you brought this up, however I would have mentioned it on there forums vs Wilders.

Since you mention the hosts manager, I always get a Stack Overflow error when opening your hosts manager.

Any thoughts on why this is?

Thanks and Regards,

Jag

See pic.

Attached Files:

• biss.JPG
      biss.JPG
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.