Blue Screen Stop 0x050 error reported for systems installing KB2976897, KB2982791, and KB2970228

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Aug 15, 2014.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think you should have left it in place. Out of last months updates, I done a few so far (Windows update agent, IE, a couple of updates for NET Framework and one for Windows 7). Update KB2976897 still shows up for me as available when I run Windows updates. I plan on doing that particular update last, the day before Sept updates are released. In between that day and now, I ll be doing the remaining updates from August.

Bo

2. guest

guest Guest

I'd rather take a safe step. I don't know if the supposed fix updates will conflict with these problematic updates. Besides, these problematic updates shouldn't exist to start with.

3. bo elam

Graf, being cautious to the extreme, I haven't installed update KB2976897 yet. But since it is still being offered by Windows update when I go there, I will install it on Monday. I am pretty sure if you run Windows update, it will be there again for you.:)

Bo

4. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, it is there along with that weirdo Browser Choice Screen Update thingy, but I will just let them be.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha yeah well, it's not the first and surely not the last time something like this will happen :D

6. bo elam

Hi Swex, I avoid this problems completely. I disable Windows updates and start bothering with the updates a few days after they come out if I don't read they are causing problems. If I read anything suspicious about any update, I wait weeks. Never a problem doing things like that. I don't mind being a guinea pig for Sandboxie but I really dont want to be one for Microsoft. I don't dislike Microsoft but don't like the idea of "testing" their updates.
    Graf, which update is that one?

Bo

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hey Bo!

Yes that's a good way. Then it may not come as a surprise...but that's exactly how I handle Windows updates as well since many years back. And I am happy I do it that way :cool:

8. guest

guest Guest

We'll have to admit though that the August Update incident is one of the worst, if not the worst error ever done by Microsoft that affected so many users this far. The new CEO must have lots of facepalms these days.

Exclusive for Windows 8 systems apparently:

I don't even know what is this thing and what's the importance of this particular update.

EDIT: Lol I know what this update is all about. It's the European Commission's regulation that makes Microsoft has to inform users that there are more web browser other than Inori Internet Explorer. This update is even offered to XP users it seems.

EDIT #2: Yep, Dragon1952 confirmed it. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
  9. bo elam

I never get surprises from updating Windows. I avoided all kind of problems by doing things like that. I remember about 4 years ago, after some Windows updates got released, running Firefox under Sandboxie was broken. I never got to experience that problem since by the time I updated Windows that month, I already had installed a new Sandboxie version that had taken care of the issue.:cool:

Bo

10. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Microsoft is providing the Browser Choice update to comply with a legal settlement with the European Commission. Microsoft is required to inform customers who currently use Internet Explorer as their default browser that there are other web browser choices available. You can use the Browser Choice update to select and install the web browser you want to use on your PC. .......http://windowsforum.com/threads/browser-choice-update-kb976002.103309/

11. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

From Susan Bradley of Patch Watch at Windows Secrets:
    and
    No all-clear yet.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Of course...they started to offer it way before they stopped the official support for XP.

13. bo elam

FWIW, I never got to install or uninstall any of this updates (2970228, 2975331, 2975719, and 2982791) but I installed KB2982791 yesterday morning. Rebooted and shut down a few times, as far as I can tell, all is well.:)

Bo

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah I had one screw up once...and after that I disabled WU completely and started to wait a few days just to see if all updates was green and clean to go :ouch:

15. bo elam

My own "screw up once" was when I tried to install Sp 3 for XP the first time. That was messy since I have one of those computers that needed an HP update in order for SP 3 not to cause the computer to go in a loop. I disable Windows update ever since.

Bo

16. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

~ edit for brevity ~

Susan Bradley is an active MS MVP and a Community Moderator at MS Answers but she is not a Microsoft Employee.

There are no definitive answers for the ongoing issues with the MS KB's that are causing botched PC's.

Use your best judgement and if in doubt ask your peers here what they have experienced and the outcomes of those experiences with problem KB's.

Keeping in mind that Tuesday is yet another Patch Tuesday.

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    can i know if somebody uninstall KB2976897 ?
    and if it does fix some issue ?

thanks to all

18. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

@mantra I uninstalled KB2976897. Whether it fixed THE issue is debatable. All I know that I have had no problems with manual windows updates or any other errors since last friday since uninstalling KB2982791 as well and so far windows has not notifed me to reinstall either one. I guess it comes down to the "choice is yours".

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i noticed that sometime the windows update gives me errors
    i run often to see if it works , sometime even flush the dns does not it help

i'm thinking about restore an image before the august update , but i don't know if it's a good idea, as soon i will perform an update , i will have the same situation

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  20. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

my laptop been left idle 8 days now since uninstalling it and no BSOD, so on my lappie seemed to work.

The bad news is tho considering Microsoft didn't pull this update maybe they haven't recognised it as needing fixing?

21. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I just turned Windows Update off and will wait a week this time to see how the Sept Updates work out.

22. bo elam

As planned, I installed update KB2976897 yesterday. Thats the last update from August that I had to do for my W7 32 bits computer. All is well.:cool:

Bo

23. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

So did I, yesterday. I had uninstalled it a couple of weeks ago and reinstalled it. So far so good. (Just might be safe to go back in the water)*puppy*

24. niki

niki Registered Member

I had changed the Microsoft Updates to *check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them* So today I did a manual update. Got this time the same error code: 80246002. DUH! Since I saved the Mr Fixit tool I ran this tool again and then did a manual update after I changed to *install updates automatically*. All updates got through this time and were installed but I think there is something drastically wrong with the Microsoft Updates somewhere.

25. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't even know if I'll even install todays borkfest just come through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.