Blowfish Advanced and the scanner question?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mantra, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i have 2 questions about Blowfish Advanced http://www.lassekolb.info/bfacs.htm

1) which is the more strong encrypt algorithm available( not only included in blowfish)

2)
    about the scanner
    i disabled add .bfa extension
    i disabled scan .bfa file only

well about the scanner
    how can i scan my hardisk for files encrypted by blowfish?

thanks

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I am not sure what "Blowfish Advanced" is, but I do know that Blowfish is an algorithm created by Bruce Schneier back in the day. He also created Twofish and entered it in the AES competition (finished second behind Rijndael). Twofish is probably the stronger of the two popular Schneier algorithms.

As for the strongest algorithm, you would likely be looking at AES (Rijndael) or Serpent with Twofish right in the mix somewhere. AES (Rijndael) by its very nature has had more scrutiny than any of them, so it's probably best to stick with it until it is broken (which won't be soon). Serpent is often considered to be stronger but it is also slower.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks

but does someone use this great program?

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

AFAIK, Blowfish has never been broken. It's unpatented and freely available. Other than preferences based on "newer is better", and "this has been tested more", there's no good reason for not using it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowfish_(cipher)

I can't comment on the Blowfish Advanced software itself. I had it installed but never used it, preferring another Encryption program that uses Blowfish.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i'm looking for a program that can find ecrypted files (using the header of the files)

6. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Try using the search function of a hex editor.

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I don't know of an application designed to detect files encrypted by 3rd party software. There are some that are supposed to detect files encrypted by EFS. No idea if it would recognize Blowfish encryption. I prefer to use encrypted partitions or container files rather than encrypting individual files.

I have to ask, why would you need to scan your own system for encrypted files?

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

maybe because i don't remember the names and whrere they are o_O

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

total commander has one
    but what should i add to search

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.