blocking through host file

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by emma, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emma

emma Registered Member

How do I block sites while using a proxy? I added 127.0.0.1 example.com I've checked "Bypass proxy server for local address" but I can still access the site.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Welcome to the forums Emma,

If you are using a proxy server then the hosts file will have no effect. This is because all network access will be via the proxy's IP address rather than the site itself (the proxy will access the site on your behalf - unless it has its own hosts file).

If there are sites you wish to avoid then you could configure your browser not to use the proxy to access them (the hosts file would then have an effect) but this is only feasible for a small number of sites.

For larger numbers, consider either using a filter (Proxomitron is one of the most powerful, but can be initimidating to get to grips with, WebWasher, JunkBuster and AdSubtract should be easier alternatives - also some personal firewalls like Outpost and Kerio can filter selected sites) or, if you use Internet Explorer, add the site(s) to your Restricted Zone (in this case, also consider downloading IE-SPYADS, a pre-prepared list of advertisers and sites known for pushing adware and spyware onto visitors).

Last edited: May 3, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.