Blocking Referer

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by DVD+R, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm testing look'n'stop and so far it has passed the tests on pcflank, except the leaktest, also in the browser test, cookies are blocked but the referer is not!, How do I set this to block the referer in the browser o_O

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont believe looknstop can block referers.

but if you use firefox, u can try the RefControl extension.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Thanks Fuser, Oh well maybe in the next update they will consider this :)

4. beanpole

beanpole Registered Member

If you are using lns sp3,you should choose "watch thread injection" in advanced options.It could stop dll from injecting into the other exe,so it could prevent leaktest from linking Internet through other exe.

I'm a non-English speaker,my English is pretty poor. I hope you could understand what I said.

5. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi All :)

The referer is a part of the Browser Header sent to a web site. Most of the time it is not required but in some situation it must be sent ... The easiest way to control it is to use a web filter such as proxomitron , privoxy and alike or the extension RefControl with Firefox.
    http://www.stardrifter.org/refcontrol/

You have to remark that this level of filtering is not provided by LNS.
    The LNS internet filtering is related to the TCP-IP to the Network layer (ARP, IP, ICMP...) and mainly the Transport layer (UDP, TCP, ...) of the TCP-IP stack, not the "application layer" such as the HTTP, FTP, POP3 and so on...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP-IP

IMHO this level of filtering is not a function of as firewall which is an internet packet filter not an application filter...

This level (application filtering) is normally provided by security parameters of the applications or with softwares proxys such as Proxomitron, proximodo, privoxy for the HTTP filtering, SpamPal, Spamilihator, K9 for Pop3 filtering and so on...

If LNS developpers add a third level of filtering (after the programs filter and the internet filter) it will transform LNS into a too much complex software:just look into the Http filtering rules of Proxomitron to have an idea...

Now figure out a kind of "application level" filtering not only for HTTP but also the others "Application level" protocols: Pop3, Smtp, Ftp, DNS, and so on...

Finally all these "applications level filtering" are already done by the security parameters of the programs implementing these applications level ... or some well known and reliable (free) softwares...

A firewall is not a patch to fix the deficient security of the operations system or the applications programs...

Best regards,
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.