Blocking Networks & IP Addresses by Country

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tech Manager, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Would be fine if we could get a list suitable for peerguardian 2.
    Peerguardian 2 uses: description:startip-endip

2. Tech Manager

Tech Manager Registered Member

That's easy to do. Anything else you need?

3. softtouch

No, thats all I would need. I run peerguardian 2 on my server, but I have so much access from china based IP's and did not find a way to block them all with peerguardian 2.

Unfortunately, that server runs Windows, and the router is a d-link dual wan, which does not allow to enter ip's to block, so the only solution for me would be peerguardian.

4. Tech Manager

I'm on the road at the moment, but if you'll send me a note early in the morning I'll write a quick script to give you what you need.

5. Tech Manager

I've put together the entire Chinese network allocations as of 2/15/08 in the format you suggested: description:startip-endip (for description I used China but you can change this to whatever is acceptable to your application).

Please let me know if this works for you:

~removed excessive long list of China IP's and uploaded as a text file attachment. Please utilize the forums post attachment feature for lists of that length Please....Bubba~

View attachment ChinaAddys.txt

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello Softtouch:

You and I have similar goals it seems to use PG 2 for blocking/allowing countries.

So as part of my PG 2 work, I reduced Tech Mangers long list into a set of 30 or so ranges. Hope it helps you. (1 hours work in excel)

It is here by way of attachment so others can use it at will.

What I need for PG 2 use is about 12 counties in ranges like I did for China.

Hi Tech Manager" Would you be able to provide all counties in range SUMMARY form on a secure site somewhere so I don't have to publish my list in a public forum. Or email me the text files to/from a throwaway address? It's like describing your perimeter defense to the bad guys!:eek:

Attached Files:

7. Tech Manager

If you are looking for select countries just PM me a list and I will create it for you.

8. Escalader

Done, TY

9. Tech Manager

The data has been sent.

10. softtouch

Thanks a lot! Thats cool!
    I just have another issue with PG2, it stopped blocking anything at all.
    I add for example an IP 203.177.240.100, and it does not block this IP (I see the allowed access in the firewall)...

11. Escalader

Hi softtouch:

To sort this out we have to sort of turn this thread into a how to use PG 2.

I would be glad to help you but maybe in PM's or start a PG 2 thread...?

Your call, there is a privacy forum here where PG 2 gets posted.

12. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Which PG version is best to test/use? Beta 6b or Beta 6c are XP only and RC1 Test2 is also to Vista. I'm using XP Pro.

I'd also like to know easiest way to find out where is network address location (country).

13. Escalader

FWIW, I use PeerGuardian 2.0 Beta 6c (01/30/2007) on xp sp2, for pro I don't know but you should ask on http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/

On addess question use one of many Whois services listed on this forum.

PS. Your id may confuse some posters with Mike Nash over at OA:eek: Must be a coincidence.:D

14. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Thanks a lot! I'm testing now RC1 Test2 and it's working fine. Actually I have MikeNAS account in OA forum too but rarely write anything :D

15. Tech Manager

If you guys are in need of additional security configurations let me know what they are and I'll see if I can get them to you.

16. Tech Manager

Google finds evil all over the Web

Another interesting finding: China was far and away the greatest source of malicious Web sites. According to Google's research, 67 percent of all malware distribution sites are hosted in China. The second-worst offender? The U.S., at 15 percent, followed by Russia, (4 percent) Malaysia (2.2 percent) and Korea (2 percent).

China is by far the worst of the bunch, but Russia and Korea with far fewer networks are just as bad. It makes sense to preemptively block problem countries. You can always allow access for specific IP addresses from blocked countries

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.