Blocking Javascript Popup Ad's

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by arran, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

without have to disable javascript with no script or via the browser, what are ways to block Javascript Popup Ad's like the one on this site for example?
    -http://darryltanod.blogspot.com/2009/09/high-protein-foods.html- admuncher and addblock plus do not work.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8312/66185338.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

arran, my AdBlockPlus blocks that pop-up. Check your AB+ settings, via Options > Embeddings, and tick Forbid <IFRAME>. It is an iFrame script.

3. arran

arran Registered Member

Strange I don't seem to have any Embedding settings anywhere on my AdBlockPlus :doubt:

Attached Files:

• if.JPG
      if.JPG
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
  4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

arran, sorry :oops: I meant to say NoScript instead of AdBlockPlus. :)

2011-01-03_151239.gif

5. arran

arran Registered Member

Unfortunately with blocking Iframe in No Script you end up with a lot of broken websites, One good example is "Shout Boxes" on websites are blocked. I don't use No Script because there ends up being so many broken websites.

These Javascript Iframe Popup Ad's seem to be increasing on the net, sometimes you have to click the popup box 10 times to get rid of it or terminate the browser.

The goal that we need to achieve here is to have javascript and Iframes running
    but at the same time control the behavior of javascript and Iframes so we don't
    have these intrusive popups.

So far the only solution I have found is by using Proxomitron and selecting the
    "Kill alert/confirm boxes" setting.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

But won't that result in over-kill as well?

7. arran

arran Registered Member

No not really other than the popups being blocked all other javascript and Iframe content is displayed normally on sites. Haven't seen any broken websites so far.

If it is going to cause broken websites it will be a hell of a lot less than the option of blocking Iframe with No Script.

8. arran

arran Registered Member

Have you ever seen these types of popups flashing in from the side of the browser? it is another type of javascript popup which admuncher and adblock plus always fails to block. The setting "Kill Noisy Javascripts" in proxomitron blocks these.

Attached Files:

• ss.JPG
      ss.JPG
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
  9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

arran, as a Webmaster, everything that I have read informs me that iFrames, and Frames for that matter, are bad for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) because of their constant abuse. Search engines don't index the content inside an iFrame, so it's useless to use them in designing a site these days.

There are alternatives to iframes, however, they require knowledge in CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and DIV elements, in particular. CSS is simple, when you get the hang of it, yet the learning curve is steep. Some Webmaster do not want to spend the time to learn, thus they rely on creating easy iFrames.

I have a different opinion on using NoScript. I block everything on a Web site, not caring whether it breaks it or not, until I'm sure I can trust the site and then I allow as much scripting as necessary to visibly render the page. This lock down approach permits me to visit suspect sites without getting bit. ;)

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've never seen a site broken because of NoScript, please show us some links?

Don't forget what the POINT of NoScript is! You certainly don't use it blocking everything on a good site, you have to allow when you TRUST!

When you allow when you trust there aren't any broken sites! ;)

Know how to use the tool and it works great, probably the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.