Blocking ads in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What are you using to block ads in Internet Explorer?

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

AdMuncher when I do fire up IE. I've had good success with Fanboy's TPLs as well. The only issue with IE ad-blocking is that since there is no ABP proper for it yet, Flash-ad blocking and still being able to use legitimate Flash media is a no-go that I'm aware of. When they finally finish up ABP for IE, it should change things for the better. Although, if IE 10 doesn't take off and older IE versions drop out of use, they may not see it worth developing ABP for it further.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If you're running a version that supports TPLs (I believe you're using Windows 7 now?), then you may go with the TPLs.

I rarely use IE10 (Windows 7), but these are the TPLs that I have loaded:

Fanboy Ultimate -https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ie/fanboy-ultimate-ie.tpl

There's no official way of adding it to IE, but you can do it here (-http://www.jansal.net/TPL.shtml).

Regarding Flash, considering that I don't have it installed for IE, I'm not sure, but IE has an ActiveX control option and it's also possible to disable Flash for all domains except those you want to allow. Shouldn't these options take care of most Flash ads (with exception of ads coming from the same domain you allow)?

4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

There is also AdFender.

5. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Ad Muncher is my favorite , but you can use Quero AdBlock IE TPL or another Tracking Protection List.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

At the moment, I am leaning towards Simple Adblock because it seems so, well, simple. :)
    But I will investigate all suggestions before deciding.
    TY

7. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Simple Adblock is expensive for what it does , if you want to pay Ad Muncher is a no brainer.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I prefer free.

I just read here that there is a free version of Simple Adblock.

I use IE very infrequently... only for web sites that don't render properly in Chrome, so the 200 ad request limit per day should be no problem. Sometimes I don't open IE for weeks.

PS- The jury is definitely still out for me... I am not decided, and Simple Adblock does not appear to be well-known enough to where there could be problems with the dev. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

10. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

TPL lists - NZ Fanboy lists - I use the do not track one which blocks adverts, too. Get them from the IE Gallery.

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The free version of Simple Adblock only blocks so many on IE. Then they start showing again. There is a limit to how many it will block in a session & I have been told that if you use IE long enough you will see them again. I've used it on IE 8 but I never used IE long enough to actually see any adverts.

12. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

13. anon

anon Registered Member

14. Thanks for the link! m00nbl00d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.