Block Removable media still does not block USB sticks

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by MasterTB, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Hi, great RC1, the problem with root certificates for SSL on Opera is fixed and working.
    Still, the Block Removable Media function doesn't work with USB memory sticks, I have it on -no exceptions- and I can still plug in my Kingston Traveller or my N95 on Data Transfer mode and they all work!!!

So, when will it be fix?

2. michael83815

michael83815 Registered Member

I can confirm this.

Windows Vista sp2

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try removing the usb stick, enabling blocking of removable media and plugging in the stick again. There's actually a small bug, but in this case it should work.

4. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Already done that, it does NOT work. I can plug the stick, unplug it, enable blocking, and plug it again as many times as I want, It always runs... I tried with my cellphone, connecting it in compatible mode to use it as an mp3 player with windows media and it worked just fine, the only thing that gets blocked are CD's and DVD's.

I'm telling you, it does not work, ESS sees the USB hubs, it detects where my printer's on, my USB camera and even my USB wireless transmitter for the keyboard and mouse, everything works no matter what the setting is.

Edit: and since we are talking about blocking removable media, it would be a nice option to put the choice for the user to enable autoscan of media as soon as it is detected and before windows can execute it, just to prevent problems, just to see a green window telling users that there's no problem to be worried about. Just a suggestion. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.