Block Bitmap Corrupt - help!

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by adamr, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamr

adamr Guest

Hi,

I'm attempting to fix an NTFS disk using a standalone boot CD made from Disk Director Suite 9 and need some help :)

I was resizing the single 190gb partition using Partition Magic 8 when it gave an error and rebooted. Now when I try to start windows (XP) it gets as far as the boot logo then bluescreens and stops.

I booted with the DDS9 boot cd and it launches fine. However the partition comes up with a little error icon, and I seem unable to make any changes to the partition or fix it in any way. It's not found (or fixable) as a deleted partition in the recovery process (even after the long scan).

The only error I can find is in the 'errors' area of the partition properties, and it states the 'Block Bitmap is Corrupt'

I've also tried the 'Ultimate Boot CD' (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and the various disk tools on there can still see and read the files on the partition, so it's not completely dead.

I can find very little info on Google about 'block bitmaps' and most of it seems to relate to Linux/ext2. I can find no tool to fix this error, and no option in DDS9 seems to fix it. Is there any way I can fix this problem using DDS9, or could you recommend another tool that will?

Thanks,
    Adam Robertson
    (adam at randommedia dot co dot uk)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I am afraid, Acronis Disk Director Suite will not be able to fix the problem with block bitmap. I am not aware of any other tools that can help you. Probably, if you plug this drive as a slave to the computer with Windows installed you will be using to repair it using "Check Disk" tool.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. netguy

netguy Guest

Using Acronis on a new XP build, I had the same message. Burnt anyway, but it was corrupted. Got me thinking; (maybe M/S creates some kind of partition to store backup of registry) Turned off System Restore, and imaging went just fine.

Hope this works for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.