BleepingComputer.com Says Disable Shadow Volume Copies Now!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by itman, Nov 8, 2015.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

I believe if you use Windows Backup on WIN 7 (does anyone actual use it?), it uses vssadmin.exe. That feature was deprecated in WIN 8 which now uses the journal to determine file changes.

There can be issues with Shadow Copies, so moving away from this seems like a good change. "One disturbing thing I did learn about Windows backup is that it uses NTFS Shadow Copies to keep prior versions. One (IMHO) extremely dangerous result of this is that if you ever connect your backup disk to a Windows XP system you'll loose all the prior versions, since XP's version of NTFS doesn't understand multiple shadow copies and so silently deletes everything except the most recent one. This raised all kinds of red flags for me since when I started with Windows 7 I was using the same backup drives to back up both it and my older XP system."
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36344-63-backup-explanation-please

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Sorry, you lost me ... but, I'm easily lost.....:argh:

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am saying with bother taking system restores and not using them. I'd turn it off, save the disk space and use a real disk imaging program like Macrium

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Ah.... I'm back now. I hear ya'.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Same over here, seems like a good solution. Same goes for bcedit.exe and bitsadmin.exe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.