Blatant marketing lies thread

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Windows_Security, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This is a valid point. It is all about the interpretation of the efficacy of the claims by the particular software developer. Comodo may very well feel that PPAPI is not relevant to their security approach. Even if it was they can always claim that it is a subjective opinion. This is the crux of the problem.

2. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

To me, the worst lies are the ones meant to fool best. Almost everyone is used to taking mere claims with a grain of salt, but the vilest is when the vendor tries to legitimize its lies by cheating in benchmarks, taking test results out of context, hiring people to post shill reviews or fake statistics etc.

3. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

You mean the internet security industry? Or the, what do they call it..browser wars? :D Reviews are something I try very hard to research. It is unfortunately very easy to post glowing reviews on some tech site or forum, and equally simple to crusade against a product because someone in the past had a bad time or has a grudge. Sadly, even reliable and respectable sources are subject to corruption. :(

4. Daveski17

Aka the pork pie factory. LOL

5. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

It can sure seem that way when one begins to actively look for unbiased answers, hard as they may be to find at times.

6. Daveski17

Notwithstanding that different software can appear to run differently on different set-ups & combinations of hardware. No one who releases any kind of product would willingly describe it as bad or even mediocre. Stating that a particular product is making false claims about itself seems fraught with the difficulties of actual substantiation. It seems to me, at any rate.

7. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have another personal example to share with you which I think was the original intent of this thread.

Is this a blatant marketing lie?

Several years ago I purchased a wireless dongle from my ISP for internet access because I primarily wanted HSPA+. It was 50% off with a 3 year plan. Their web page listed all of its specs and features, however this is what I draw your attention to: " This device has the fastest wireless internet connection available, you are guaranteed speeds of up to 21Mbps".

The facts: The device is indeed capable of 21Mbps, however, note the "up to" in the marketing statement. Having used this dongle for over 4 years I can absolutely state that it has reached 5.6Mbps max. download speed with upload speeds much lower. With 3 bars or 5 bars, at anytime of day/night, with nothing else open other than a MS update download, it averages around 3-4Mbps max.

Was I ripped off? I would say yes, because expectations were not met. If the download speed have had reached 15 or even 10Mbps, then I would have been a lot more satisfied. They set the expectation much higher than they intended to deliver.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  8. Daveski17

I perfectly understand the original intention of this thread. However, I doubt that I would have truly believed a statement such as: "This device has the fastest wireless internet connection available, you are guaranteed speeds of up to 21Mbps" in the first place. Notwithstanding that hardware performance can differ depending on whatever system/hardware is being used.

I recently changed to fibreoptic (FTTC) broadband with my ISP. They even supplied me with a spanking new router. They claimed that my broadband speed would be 'eight times faster'. They later revised this to 'four times faster'. It is noticeably better & faster I'll admit. I was just sceptical of any of their performance claims.

When it comes to statements of performance by manufacturers it is always going to be a contentious issue. I suppose it all depends on whether the consumer was born yesterday or not I suppose, or indeed, in some cases possibly those born in the early hours of the morning of the present day.

I still maintain that trying to prove the ambiguity of any marketing claims as outright lies is fraught with difficulty & equivocation.

9. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Never doubted it. I have thoroughly enjoyed your responses and agree with your point of view on the subject. I chose the example because of how outrageous the marketing statement was.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  10. Daveski17

Yeah, those marketing people have a lot to answer for LOL! I think there is a specific circle of hell in Dante's Divina Commedia for those who were in marketing or advertising. I'm not sure what their punishment would be though. ;)

11. explanoit

explanoit Registered Member

The worst is when companies I respect have disconnected marketing departments that just utterly murder their claims into laughability and make me hate them a little on the inside.

Like one that claimed 100% protection from 0days.
    What a joke. Pretty sure they stopped that this year.

12. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Advertisers, Welcome to Hell. 'A warm and inviting place with hot springs, hot food, hot chicks, in fact everything is HOT. Just the place for like-minded people as yourself. We absolutely guarantee that your stay with us was designed with you in mind. Terms and Conditions will change without notice, services will be withdrawn without notice, complaints will be ignored and we never track you. We are here to serve you.'

13. Daveski17

ROTFLMAO! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.