Blank screen on recover

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by enonod, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enonod

enonod Registered Member

I got no response from the tech support so here goes to see if anyone can better that. ;)

Version 11 Trial.
    Computer Fujitsu/Siemens pa1510 Laptop running XP pro sp2.
    Version 10 worked OK.

Made a backup of main partition (of 2, dual boot) and verified OK.
    Then I tried to restore both from windows and from CD.
    In each case, the big screen comes up and I select TrueImage, it goes away and then on a blank screen says it is loading...
    Then nothing, for ever. Then I made a CD from another computer in case... you know! That didn't work either.
    I can however mount the image fine.
    At present, I have it mounted and am copying it in that uncompressed form to another disk in the hope that I can somehow get it onto a partition and work.
    Two questions...
    1. what causes this problem (screen is fixed 1280/800 and main disk is SATA but no special driver).

2. In using the mounted image can anyone suggest how then to get it to a bootable partition?

The final outcome once I have recovered (if at all) will be to dump V11 trial and go to 10.
    Thanks
    My thanks

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Do you still have an image of your main partition which you made earlier in version 10.
    Doing a restore booted from the Version 10 CD would be the least painful way of getting back a workable system.

Xpilot

3. enonod

enonod Registered Member

Unfortunately not. Thanks for your response.
    River and Paddle come to mind.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Before discarding that paddle, have you tried the suggestions in this post under item II? Also, have you tried booting from the safe mode version of TI 11?

5. enonod

enonod Registered Member

I thank you kOlo. Item ii first para worked.
    Having read this previously, I immediately discarded it based on the reference to the Linux command line. Not using Linux I assumed wrongly that it was only for them.
    I think it would be useful if the post was edited to reflect this.
    I presume that I could now edit the cfg file on a R/W disk to reflect this quiet mod.

Many thanks.

Spoke too soon... it stopped restoring with 13 minutes left, after it had verified archive as ok.
    Once something is unreliable and needs a workaround especially one's data, it is in my opinion DEAD.
    Perhaps others will think carefully before they risk all they have.
    This product should be foolproof and 100% reliable, not 99% sometimes, maybe, if and only when the sun is shining.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

enonod:

I can appreciate your frustration, but a few more attempts at restoring your TI 11 image may be less painful than reinstalling Windows and all of your programs from scratch.

Acronis changed to a newer version of the Linux kernel in TI 11. The forum here is full of posts from people having various problems with particular hardware drivers. They have been gradually adding new drivers as problems are reported, but as you say, they're not at 100% yet.

You still have two more options open:

1. Download the safe-mode version of TI 11 and try that. Instead of using Linux as a recovery environment it uses a DOS-based environment.
    2. Submit a trouble report to Acronis and often they can provide you with a special version of the Linux recovery environment that will work with your hardware.

I wish you success...

7. enonod

enonod Registered Member

Thanks again for your effort and good wishes kOlo but as I said, I am not using Linux, but XP pro sp2. I don't see what Linux drivers or recovery environment have to do with why the original drivers or whatever from v10 windows have to do with why v11 doesn't still work with windows, on the same computer.
    'If it aint broke, don't mend it'.
    I am missing something.

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Yes, the key here is the recovery environment. In order to restore a partition, Windows must be shut down. TI does this and boots into its own recovery environment, which is Linux-based.

Apparently the Linux-based recovery environment that TI 10 used was compatible with your PC hardware, but the one used by TI 11 is not. This recovery environment must be working in order to perform a successful restore.

The part that confuses people is that you can successfully back up a partition from Windows, using the Windows version of TI. But if the recovery environment, which is based on Linux, does not support your hardware then you will not be able to successfully restore a partition.

Again, try the safe-mode version of TI 11. It is not Linux-based and may support your hardware.

9. enonod

enonod Registered Member

Many thanks for the explanation zOlo, I didn't realise that Linux was used for recovery environment. All is now clear.
    I will try the safe version.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i use vista and now vista SP1 and i cant use acronis anymore, whether i use F11 or try to do it manually from the program, just a black blank screen which does not go off, it doesnt even start the recovery.

they have totally f'ed it up.

11. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

The boot CD should still work -- it has nothing to do with Vista, SP1 or not.

Being unable to start a recovery from within the program may be related to SP1 changes. Have you tried a reinstall?

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive tried everything...

it just doesnt work, yet it works on my brothers machine.

13. Magus

Magus Registered Member

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Have you tried turning off DefenceWall ? I am not have never used it myself but it could be a conflict candidate.
    I have not seen if you have run True Image from the rescue CD either for creation or restore of images. that would eliminate conflicts if there are any.

Xpilot

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

even with defensewall not installed, i just get a blank screen, the acronis recovery screen just does not show, and this was on a freshly formatted machine aswell.

you might have something there about certain laptops, mine is a dell one and doesnt work, yet my brothers machine that acronis does work on, is just a P4 PC with all the trimmings.

so, there is no fix?

:thumbd:

16. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi C.S.J,

I am still not sure if you have actually made and tried out a TI rescue CD. Doing so will eliminate a lot of possible causes although of course some others may surface!

There are some Dell Laptop experts who frequent these pages so hang in there for one of them to finish his Easter egg. I have no first hand experience of Dell laptops so I will retire from this thread.

Xpilot

17. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

C.S.J.:
    It sounds to me like your laptop's hardware is not fully supported in the Acronis recovery environment. Like Xpilot recommends, try making a recovery CD using the Bootable Media Builder application in TI 11. If you boot your PC from the recovery CD you will probably see the same problem occurring; this will confirm that the issue you are having with the Windows version of the program is related to the recovery environment.

From here, you have three options available:

1. Follow the recommendations in this Acronis Support article under section II, Problems with Acronis bootable rescue media or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.
    2. Try booting from the recovery CD in "safe" mode. If you are using TI 11, you can download the safe mode version from your Acronis account page.
    3. Contact technical support, who may be able to help you get the necessary hardware drivers in the recovery version by making a special ISO image file for you.

The fact that the program works properly on your brother's machine but not on your laptop points to hardware driver issues in the recovery environment.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive already made the cd, it does the same.

19. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I can confirm that DefenseWall do not have any compatibility issues with Acronis software. It had such in past, but not now.

20. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello C.S.J,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

21. glynderi

glynderi Registered Member

I've just had the same problem with a brand new PC. Not having a clue what to do, I went to the Acronis website, found that there was a forum and signed up.

A quick search found the suggested press F11 and type "quiet acpi=off noacpi" fix.

I did this. It worked!

What can I say but thanks. 30 mins between failure and success.

Thanks guys.

Robin
    UK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.