Blackout Weirdness: FDISR Possible Source?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Chamlin, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Has anyone experienced the following:

My PC generally takes 1 minute 10 seconds to fully boot. :)

However, some weird things have been happening since installing FDISR. Upon bootup, and only once in a while, after the initial black microsoft screen opens up, but BEFORE the light blue XP "welcome to windows" screen come on, there is an extended 2 or 3 minute black out on my monitor before that light blue welcome screen comes on.

It may have happened the next reboot after each time I did a snapshot or archive. But it's not limited to that. It happened the other day right after a BSOD (my first ever).

Any ideas? Any diagnostic recommendations?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What other security software do you have on the system. Also are you running any other recovery software?

3. Chamlin

Acronis True Image 11
    SpySweeper 5.5.7.103
    NOD32 2.70.32
    Comodo Pro Firewall 2.4.18.184
    Spybot 1.5 (though I don't know why as I don't run it)
    PerfectDisk 8.0
    And I have something called Recuva, a file recovery utility I've never used.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

are you using the freeze function ? The way FD-ISR works with freeze is slower than many other freeze programs - I believe that it has to check back with the frozen copy to restore the working snapshot. Following a session of great activity a re-boot might need more time ?

6. Peter2150

I know there is no issue with PerfectDisk. There may be a conflict with Acronis True Image.

You could first set FDISR to run with RSS instead of VSS. See here

Pete

7. Chamlin

No Freeze. Still using build 205 with no Freeze function.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Freeze can cause a boot delay, but FDISR shows a popup menu that it is still busy, not an entire black screen. This is something else. I never had any of these problems, published at this forum. If FDISR was in trouble, it was caused by myself. A simple image restore and it was fixed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  9. Chamlin

Peter, Acadia, will check those links out and report back. Just found the "event viewer" and am reviewing all the "warnings" and "errors" in the System list. I'll post a screen shot later when back from meetings.

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

??
    HDS version issues after changes ??
    Looking forward to it

11. Chamlin

Just had what I THINKo_O is a BSOD. For about 1/2 second, there was a blue screen with a lot of white text (like a DOS screen), but I couldn't read it because it immediately rebooted the system.

I've attached the system event viewer log...but it doesn't show any abnormality at the time of the "BSOD event" (6:46pm).

o_O :mad: o_O

Attached Files:

12. Peter2150

If it persists go into the control panel, click on system>advanced, and settings under startup and recovery and see if you can change setting there

13. Chamlin

Attached is a screenshot of that Advanced Tab. Am I right in that you are suggesting to uncheck the "System Failure" / Automatically Restart setting? That would allow me to read the blue screen?

And if so, (inexperience about to show) would I just manually restart the computer with the button on the box?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  14. Peter2150

Yes. then you can see what the screen says, and hopefully it points you to a driver.

Pete

15. Chamlin

Well fellas, it's been several days and no BSOD, but I can tell the system is still not right by that extended black screen pause at start up.

IF I was to uninstall FDISR to see if that changes the problem, do you recommend that I just use the standard Control Panel add/remove programs function? Or should I then ferret out FDISR folders, etc.

I have full intention of reinstalling the program. I've got my archived snapshot on the external hard drive, but I'm guessing that if the uninstall/reinstall fixes the problem, I would be doing new snapshots of the properly functioning drive.

Thanks,
    Bruce

16. Peter2150

Bruce. Very definitely use the add remove. You have the choice of keeping snapshot or not. Me, I would archive all snapshots, and do a complete uninstall. Then see where you are.

Pete

17. Chamlin

BSOD arrived on SATURDAY and this time I have it's message:

BAD_POOL_CALLER

---Make sure new hardware or software is properly installed
    ---Disable or remove new hardware or software

---Technical info:
    xxx STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x00000000, 0x8a108c20)

End of blue screen writing
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Key points:

A. After my hard reboot on Saturday, the system booted just fine, taking its usual 1 minute to boot up. System worked fine.
    B. However, the one anomaly that has sporadically shown up is a message that a USB device is not recognized, but I can't tell which one it is.
    C. On today's boot up (Sunday), I got the long black screen delay. No message yet about a USB device not being recognized.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Questions/advice needed on action steps:

1. My primary, secondary, and archived snapshots to my knowledge are identical. I can see the wisdom of backing them all up before uninstalling FDISR. How to I back up the primary and secondary to my external drive? Just do the same that I did to create the archived snapshot? And wouldn't that just give me the same archive?

2. What next step makes the most sense?
    --- a. Leave FDISR uninstalled for a week or two and see if I get another BSOD or "device not recognized" issue without FDISR?
    --- b. Reboot, defrag, then reinstall FDISR immediately and see if that cures my poor little PC's malady?
    --- c. Other: _____________ (please explain)

3. Will my archive snapshot remember how I set up FDISR originally, including any preferences, what my exclusions are? How do I handle that when reinstalling?

Thanks for all the assistance! Is there any other info you need from me that would help with diagnosing the situation?

Peace,
    Bruce

18. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

19. Peter2150

1. If they are the same it shouldn't matter. But you can do an archive from primary to archive of primary and also an archive of secondary to archive of secondary.

2. I would try b first and see what happens. When you uninstall do a complete uninstall snapshots and all. Then start over with a new install.

3. When you copy/update from an archive your system will be as it was when you made the archive, FDISR and all.

Pete

20. Chamlin

Been getting the BSOD's with a reference to Comodo v2.4 as the culprit. Comodo 3 is said to fix this but the Comodo forum is wrought with nightmares at this point on v3.

Rock and a hard place. Persistent BSODs or risk worse. Or dump Comodo but that isn't my preference. So I currently wait for a more stable v3 before installing.

Current, consistent, persistent BSOD (no longer getting Bad Pool):
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    0x000000D1 (0x0000001C, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB62043BB)
    cmdmon.sys - address B62043BB base at B61FE000, Date Stamp 45bc9111

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

22. Chamlin

Acadia, thanks for the link. Very important info (immediately below):

Article Title:Comodo firewall prevents FirstDefense from creating/updating snapshots correctly.
    Article Details:Comodo firewall prevents its files from being copied by the FirstDefense-ISR copy process. The copy process will report errors with Comodo files. Snapshots are not bootable if the Comodo files fail to copy.

As a workaround, launch the Comodo application; go to the security tab and select advanced. Under the miscellaneous option, click configure and uncheck the option to "protect own registry keys and files from unauthorized modifications".

After this option is applied the Comodo files can be copied by the FirstDefense-ISR copy process safely and you will be able to boot into alternate snapshots.

Just did a snapshot last night without "unprotecting the registry keys" in Comodo, and the snapshot ran. But there were no errors that I know of.

How would I know if there were errors?

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You can go into the FirstDefense Log, it will tell you EVERYTHING! Good luck.

Acadia

24. Chamlin

Log was clean. Thanks!

Still, have to deal with Comodo itself as it Blue Screens my PC every other day. :mad:

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In the end, I ditched Comodo Firewall. Whatever I did, I couldn't get it work properly after following all the advices.
    Any software that doesn't work together with FDISR is doomed and considered as good malware. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.