Blacklisting vs Code Scanning: Which is better?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

WOW you are supporting Avast community...How about your privacy? Are you sure that your details are not going to Avast Severs? If you say "NO" then i'll suggest you to think again.

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Maybe. :D :-*

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I always liked the black listing of PC Tools BrowserDefender till the Google issue came up. I never really did like AVG link scanner because it was not blacklisting bases so Blacklisting is my favorite :thumb:

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

What's that o_O :rolleyes:

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

On Firefox Browser Defender alerts don't come up when using Google, but now that I just visited the BrowserDefender site they show a new UI so maybe a new version with a fix will be released soon :D

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Good news...:-*

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, I also noticed it. I actually asked in this thread if I, perhaps had the wrong version. :D

I guess they haven't released the new version, yet. I asked at PC Tools forum what's happening regarding this. I still haven't gone there to check it, but will in a bit.

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Can a code scanner tell you that the website that you're about to do commerce with is shady? ;) Both methods have merit.

9. m00nbl00d

I was checking MDL (Malware Domain List) against AVG Linkcanner, PC Tools Browser Defender / Norton Safe Web and McAfee SiteAdvisor, and SiteAdvisor... well... seems not to be functional, at all. :D

From all the links I verified... It reports that they verify thousands of web sites, but that "this" one hasn't been yet.

Also, for what I could see, Finjan SecureBrowsing has been discountinued, though still available for download.

Edit: I checked a few more... and, finally starts to give red warnings. But, it could had done a lot better. I'm wondering if McAfee works hard on it?

10. justenough

justenough Registered Member

11. progress

progress Guest

Norton Safe Web :thumb:

12. AvinashR

Powered by ASK .. :)

13. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

o_O o_O o_O o_O lol thats cold

14. progress

progress Guest

Where is it? :doubt: I didn't notice it ...

15. AvinashR

Toolbar is powered by ASK ... Haven't you heard this ?

16. progress

progress Guest

No :'(

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It's funny how you ASK this. Pun intended.

18. progress

progress Guest

I will stay with WOT or AVG LinkScanner :thumb:

19. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

The BIG problem with all such link scanners, is the false sense of security it gives people = :thumbd:

I've installed various different ones on quite a few peoples comps. over the years, and as long as they got no alerts they thought they were 100% safe. Guess what, some of them still got infected :D Even though i warned them about the dangers, they forgot, and also forgot to inform other users too :(

In theory they are a nice idea, but will Never ever be able to keep up with the amount of new daily nasty www's.

20. m00nbl00d

Hasn't Symantec reconsidered their partnership after their costumers started complaining back then?

Recently, I've also installed Norton Safe Web Lite in a virtual machine, and I don't recall seeing any mentions to Ask.com or IAC in the EULA.

I don't think they partner with Ask.com. Not anymore.

21. m00nbl00d

You seem to be an user of NSW. Could you tell me whether it justs rates links or if it also blocks access to them?

Unfortunately, when I installed NSW some time ago, I didn't check that part. Now, I can't because my monthly traffic is way over. :(

I know that Browser Defender will do it, for what I can remember. So, if NSW doesn't, I guess people would be better off with Browser Defender. After all, the ratings are the same.

22. AvinashR

Have i done any offense? :doubt:

23. AvinashR

Does it provide any search bar like Google search bar? If YES, then kindly do search something by using Norton Search Bar, you'll find results powered by ASK ...

24. m00nbl00d

Well, I have different opinions. For a few times already, Linkscanner has saved family members from troubles.
    Not so long ago, one of them got an e-mail from a friend giving her a link; considering the e-mail came from a friend, this family member, well... just clicked. AVG Linkscanner blocked access to that website, prevent whatever would result out of it.

No one says they're 100% effective. Just like antimalware applications aren't, but within the context of an in-depth security, they can do a lot for such people, who otherwise wouldn't be protected, at all.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the e-mail didn't come from a friend. This friend's e-mail account had been hijacked.

25. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I use Norton SafeWeb, Norton IPS (I use NIS), Norton DNS and Prevx SafeOnline, I really trust in Symantec. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.