BlackIce Vs Kaspersky Anti-Hacker

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by shaunwang, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

hi all,

Just need more suggestions, if I am a beginner which firewall should I be choosing ?

Next Questions,

1. Currently no one test a firewall fully on its pros and cons , firewalltestleak do not show this either. Is there anyone out there who had done this test on BlackIce (using more than 40mb of resources ) vs Kaspersky Anti-Hacker ( using more than 2000kb ++).

The differences here is seriously big, though BlackIce is using alot of virtual memory resources, the loading speed maintain the same while Kaspersky Anti-Hacker resources can be as low as 700kb to as high as 8 mb but the loading speed is maintain. [ sometimes blackice takes longer to load a website than kaspersky anti-hacker for this I understand coz blackice intrusion is at work all the time for each and every single packets is being monitored ]

2. Is there a way to find out which firewall is doing more protection than the other?? and what they reason for blackice is using so much resources for the blackd.exe which takes 14 to 15mb o_O

Both of them have intrusion system detection but the differences is one has a smaller library while one have a larger library.

3. In some areas my course module teacher said that some firewall maybe so called good but what is compiled inside you may never know, some can have a trojan input in it to monitor your activity some may be just there to leech your virtual memory resources. He uses ZoneAlarm Security Suite and he recommend it though.

here's the question which do you think should I focus on blackice or kaspersky been pondering for the past few months testing both of them ?

Been reading around in this forum but I seldom see users who are using blackice telling me the pro and cons and asking questions in here about blackice and kaspersky anti-hacker which I found unfinished post topics about it.

I hope to reopen this issues so that future members can refer to it so will it be possible for all the senior members of this forum knowledge on this two firewalls to be review again ??

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Didn't bother reading your post.

"BlackIce Vs Kaspersky Anti-Hacker"

You can't be serious?

3. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

As far as I know, Blackice has failed as a firewall. I'm unsure as to why, something about not providing enough protection against leaktests. It had a good IDS in my opinion.

Stick with AntiHacker. At least that has good outbound control.

And if you're a beginner, you should use ZoneAlarm. It's one of the easier ones to deal with until you start learning firewall rules and move up to something like Tiny or Jetico.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: I have most recent version of BlackIce v.3.6 cpi in my pc, coupled with out post firewall. I did not use BlackIce alone, and it is fully compatible with outpost or zonealarm alike. BlackIce has a number of features, among them 4 different firewall seeting , application control and communication control. I would suggest that if you like to use it alone, it is good idea to turn on both application control and communication control, giving you full protection, BlackIce updates its data base at least one a month, and the license seems to be good for lifetime.

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

It seems redundant to have two "firewalls" going at once. One being the firewall and the other being the outbound firewall. I mean, it's application control is okay, but firewalls come with software controls these days and coupled with a free HIPS, can provide a finer mode of control than what BlackICE provides. But to each his own.

6. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

The best Kaspersky anti hacker you can have is the one from KIS, along with the proactive defense, that helps a LOT, AH is one of the most difficult firewalls to understand and to use, so I suggest using ZA (user friendly and a good one, AFAIK) :D

7. apm

apm Registered Member

blackice is not good at its application i think, it is good at its intrusion detection, and it can be used with other firewall and seems has no conflict. the IDS of blackice can even prevent some virus coming into PC from internet. use firerwall alone w/ app control is good but why not add a IDS if not lack of ram, it is more layer of defence. i'm using it and happy w/ it, it has no problem while i use more than 1 p2p and has lots of connections opened, some firewall just get overwhelmed by too much connections (OP, ZAP...).

8. shaunwang

I realise somethings too blackice tends to pick up more intruders than kaspersky anti-hacker this is one thing I not sure why.

9. apm

apm Registered Member

that's simple, because blackice has larger base of IDS sigs.
    http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Intrusions/default.htm

kaspersky anti-hacker 's packet filtering is excellent, especially in kis, but IDS need to improve.

10. shaunwang

that is true, blackice have a very huge IDS, firewall with IDS and without IDS are there any other differences beside the security with IDS will be stronger and without IDS less 1 layer one security.

11. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

12. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

The key feature of KIS AH is that it complements with the Proactive defense, a very good advantage.
    You can also try using KAV 6 (without firewall but with Proactive Defense) and another firewall you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.