Blackday trojan versus HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks Habakuck for info and thanks cloneranger for testing man:thumb:

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

nice :thumb:

i think prevx should have joint forces forces with drivesentry many years ago (especially seeing as both are developed in the same country)

although this would have been good before drivesentry went rouge like

3. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I am wondering what would be the result too.

4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

As in Katie's make-up? j/k
    Nothing personal treehouse786 (really!), but I see so often people writing about some malware blusher make-up.

It's rogue; R-O-G-U-E. link
    Rouge is what '(edit) some' women put on their cheeks link

↓ I stand corrected, cruelsister :blink:

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Pardon me for the clarification, but Rouge is what SOME (very, very few) women put on their cheeks.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post. Let's get back on topic please. Thanks!

7. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

omg how did i miss that! lol yes i meant rogue (stupid spell checker :blink: )

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

This is an awesome and informative post. Thanks to you all for all of your efforts!!

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Nope, it's the rule to intercept the not trusted programs trying to create/modify/delete the files in the root directory. Trusted programs (windows components and other white-listed stuff) are allowed to do anything. The problem is the file and registry shields are only available in the paid version. But which is the most sad, it's most likely the last improvement to OA for the main OA developer, the guy who developed OA firewall and HIPS, has left Emsisoft for the reasons that are commercial secret. And I have a strong feeling OA will either downgrade or stay the same (in the security direction) since now.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Very bad news indeed. :thumbd: :thumbd:

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if this is true then :thumbd:

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmmm.. "The Guy" you say. Wasn't it a "Team" at Tall-Emu that developed the core HIPS and Firewall
    in Online-Armor? Including the CEO Mike Nash . Before OA was bought by Emsisoft.
    http://www.tallemu.com.au/about-us/management-team
    Now i'm confused o_O

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  13. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

very bad news :(

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't see any bad news here. Emsisoft has every intention of continuing OA Development. I for one am very optimistic about the future of Online Armor.

Pete

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Time will tell. wait n see.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the thing is that OA developer is very talented and he knew his toy man so lets hope all it is ok:thumb:

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This is quite a statement. As I'm sure you know, it is standard practice here at Wilders to provide a link to your source, otherwise we are left to our own imaginations as to how you got your information. Thank you, alex_s. :)

18. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I wish your dreams to come true :)

19. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

It's always a team, of course. OA team ranged from 2 to 4 at different times.

For one Mike who was OA CEO and OA "engine". He was the main and the oldest teamer. He developed OA concept, OA design, technical requirements and he was very passionate about OA.

Then the guy who left, he appeared after OA v1 and he developed Firewall and HIPS core and also Firewall and HIPS part of UI. He was very passionate about OA as well, he could work up to 36h in line, but the work was too big and Mike proposed him to find somebody to help. The guy who left found another guy who started to help him. Then, after the first "matousec success" and after the free version was launched OA sales started to bring profit and Mike proposed to find one more coder. The guy who left found one more guy. But back in 2008 financial crisis forced Mike to reduce the team to 3 persons. That is to say Mike ran not only OA, his other project brought more profit, but OA took more time of him (he was the only one who did support) and so Mike hired a guy who made support.

This is a short story about OA team during "Tallemu" times. If you try to search oasrv.exe for the substring "if you can" then you'll find some piece of poetry that can describe OA team spirit up to the time it was sold to Emsisoft. After it was sold the spirit had died, I believe in the next release this piece of poetry will be removed for it has nothing to do with the current OA team.

Edit. Shame on me, I forgot to mention the team of testers. In the "Tallemu" times it was very dedicated and prominent team. Can't say what this team is like now.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  20. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

well it is the piece of poetry that made it what it is today....:thumb: :thumb:

21. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Alex, please stop this conversation immediately and don't force me to post my point of view too.

22. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

23. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I believe the more points of view we know the more accurate picture we have. Your point of view is very interesting to me.

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes please, post your view so we get all cards on the table. :thumb:
    BTW why the harsh tone?

Also, No offense Christian. But what right do you have demanding alex_s to stop this conversation?

25. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

OK..

You missed some very important points initially. E.g. that this 'guy' became product manager of Online Armor the day it was acquired by Emsisoft. So it was in full reponsibility of this guy to keep the things going as they were before, but he failed and was replaced by a new product manager later who did his best to clean up the mess - and still does with success.

You also missed the point that this guy was dismissed recently because (not limited to) he was unable to integrate into the Emsisoft team. While working as lone fighter works in a 2-guys scenario, it doesn't work in a bigger company that relies on the power of its team.

You also missed that the Online Armor code base, which was developed over many years mainly by this 'guy', misses essential code structure basics. That forces Emsisoft to rebuild the whole underlying core in order to make it ready for the next year's requirements. It's not a secret that Online Armor 5.x is the end of a long product technology lifecycle, but it's time to rebuild it from zero - that's what we plan to do.

Emsisoft is not in situation to afford two completely separated development paths for OA and EAM. We must join our power to be successful.

That's why our goal is to create a new, much more powerful realtime protection core which will act as base for upcoming versions of Online Armor and Emsisoft Anti-Malware. This was announced several times before and this goal didn't change recently.

I can fully understand that this 'guy' isn't happy about the new situation, but changes are not always evil for a product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.