BlackBerry CEO Questions Future of Tablets

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

At least at the consumer level i have always seen tablet as just toys, nothing else. :rolleyes:

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

According to this article you still can install it. I'm still running ICS until I buy a Jelly Bean phone in the next few weeks, so I can't test it myself just yet, but will do when I have my new phone. Maybe I won't be able to get it working since I do not and never will use Firefox on my Android devices.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I gave away my iPad to my gf after I stopped using it for a year. It was fun when it first came out but then I got really fed up with the over simplified OS. Apple needs to evolve if they want the tablet to remain dominant. The lack of USB, SD card, etc makes it a dealbreaker. The Surface is a step in the right direction. But with a keyboard can we really call it a tablet?

4. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Gentlemen,

I travel long distances by vehicle a lot (80,000 miles in 2 years) to unfamiliar locales and find my three tablets to be very valuable for finding everything from motels to good food. And, yes, I have a good GPS that is also valuable but for checking weather forecasts, checking and sending short emails, etc., I assure you I will be using my tablets for quite a while...

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://betanews.com/2013/05/06/tablets-devastate-laptop-market/

7. roger_m

That makes sense. The cost of Chinese Android tablets is becoming incredibly cheap - you can get a 7" tablet running ICS for $50 with free shipping.

Of course for that price you really can't expect much. But you can spend more and get a high quality Chinese tablet for much less than a high priced tablet like an iPad..

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's easy for customers to get support if/when they get a problem with the iPad for example, but where does the customer go to when they need support with these Chinese brands, I mean official quality support?

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Scour the Internet, like you have to do with just about all these vendors these days.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You and I would probably do that. ;)

But I am talking about the average consumer who bought a product, and when it stops working or they encounter a problem they will most likely go back to the store where they bought it and ask for help/support. That's what my parents would do too :)

11. roger_m

It usually easy to get support just by searching on Google, as the cheap no name tables are running Android just like name brands tablets such as Samsung, Sony and Acer. For device specific problems usually there will be information available on the interet, but not as readily available.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

To be honest i still prefer a good laptop over any tablet. :D
    Give me a good looking powerful ultrabook please.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I was more talking about when let's say the device doesn't start at all, or hardware failure and I still have warranty on it, and I want it fixed what do you do. The internet will not fix that, and perhaps I even need a replacement, where do I go to, send it back to China or what, sounds complicated and expensive. :D

14. roger_m

Yes, you would have to send it back to China. However I have found my cheap Chinese tablets and phones to be very reliable, and have never had to do that.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah that's what I thought, and that's nothing I would like to go through.

16. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

And I would take a good PC over any laptop!

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahahahaha but . . . but the PC is not portable. :D

18. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

The point is that one thing doesn't replace the other...
    i'm currently using a smartphone to read books and watch movies while i'm using the transports, but i find the screen too small. I would rather prefer a tablet, that have a bigger screen, is light, have enough battery autonomy, and can be found very cheap. For what i need, is perfect. I wouldn't like to carry my laptop (or even a netbook) around everyday just to read and see movies... and i wouldn't use a tablet to replace my laptop or desktop (if i had one).

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  19. roger_m

True, but when you can buy a brand name Chinese quad core tablet for $80, if it has problems you can afford to throw it away, and spend another $80 and replace it with a newer and more powerful model.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha yeah, I guess one could do it that way too. New hardware every year so to speak :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.