Black screen, blinking _ after cloning WinXP installation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Marco-H, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marco-H

Marco-H Registered Member

Hi,

I have several notebooks, all with the same hardware, only different hard discs (due to the fact that those things seem to die very often ... )

I now have installed and configured on one notebook a OS (WinXP SP2) and want to clone it as it is to all other notebooks, so i took the hard disk, put it in a 2,5" USB Case and pluged it in to an other computer where i have installed Acronis True Image. I made an image of the this harddisk and copied it to one of the other disks and everything worked fine, but the second time I mounted a fresh cloned disk back in a notebook, the system won't boot. After BIOS bootscreen, the screen directly gets black and there is a blinking _ at the top left corner of it. I gues it must have something to do with the size of the partition. True Image seems to make it fit to the new disk ... For Example: The original partition is 6 GB big, I have a 7,5GB HD to copy it to, then TI largens the partition from the 6 to the 7,5 gb resulting in the black screen while booting ... but when I copy the 6 GB to a 20 GB Hard disk it only creates the 6 GB Partition, leaves the 14 GB as empty unpartitioned space and I can perfectly boot windows from the disk.

I can't find an option which says "Don't enlarge partition" or something in the way. Anyone has an idea?

thanx in advance
    Marco

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marco,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify whether you have restored an image onto this hard drive or cloned it using Clone Disk feature?

Please also let us know whether you have performed this operation within Windows or while booting from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media.

Could you please plug this hard drive to another computer and create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  3. Marco-H

Thanx for your help.

I took the hard disk out of the notebook, connected it via an external USB case to another one and used the backup and recovery function (out of the application running in windows) of the programm to create an image of the complete disk and restore it to another one.

i also already tried to fix one of the disk from which windows won't boot by using the measures described in this post, without having any success.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=122853

I created the report file and attached it to this posting.
    (i can not create a support request because i'm testing the trial version)

//EDIT: I forget to mention: The 7,5 gb IBM Disk is the one that i want to boot from in the other notebook and I think that the error is occuring
    while the original partition only is 4,5 GB big and True Image enlarges it to the full size of the HD.

thanx in advance!
    - Marco

Attached Files:

4. Marco-H

Just to give you an idea what i mean by resizing the partitions.

i attached an image of the situation

left side -> no resizing, boots just fine from this harddisk afterwards
    right side -> partition gets enlarged and windows won't boot from it

any idea what this could be up to or how i can deaktivate this?

Attached Files:

• TI2.jpg
      TI2.jpg
      File size:
      50 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006
  5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marco,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create the bootable rescue media with Acronis True Image, boot your computer from it and use Clone Disk tool to clone one hard drive to another one. When you clone one hard drive to another one, you are able to resize partitions without any problems.

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

You can find the detailed information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep both source and destination hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report.

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.